Oops forgot the Irish Moss

GPA

Trial Member
Reaction score
Title says it all , I'm sure im not the only one who has done this , hopefully someone can guide me to the best way to clear it up before bottling :(

well you can just let it set chilled for a week or two, or use gelatin in a secondary chilled, or drink it normally its not the worst thing that can happen it just wont be as clear

Reactions: GPA
I never used to use it. Just close your eyes. You won't see any haze that's there.
RDWHAHB

Thanks it was as small test batch ,testing a sariachi ace I've heard pros and cons about kind of love or leave it,so I guess it's going to be cloudy lol

Gelatin won't do the same as the Irish Moss does (quick Google will explain the difference), but the taste will be the same whatever you do.
I just finished a keg of hopped up pilsner that I forgot the Irish Moss (and I cold crash, never use gelatin) and it was a bit hazy but tasted fantastic ☺

Title says it all , I'm sure im not the only one who has done this , hopefully someone can guide me to the best way to clear it up before bottling :(

If you have the ability to cold crash, I'd use gelatin. Here is a really good article over at Brulosophy which does a scientific comparison between Irish mossed beer and non-Irish mossed beer. Irish moss wins by a little, but actually doesn't do that much to clear up the beer: http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/16/the-irish-moss-effect-exbeeriment-results/

Gelatin, however does. Brulosophy also has a great article on that as well: http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

+1 here I wouldn't worry about it. I do use it in the last, 10 min more for settling out the solids I think it's protine coagulation by memory. But I'd be suprised if you use gelatin if it doesn't clear

Irish moss is mostly for keeping the trub out of the fermenter, and upping your efficiency by reducing kettle losses. Most of the final haze is yeast - which is taken out by gelatin, or chill haze,which can be improved with mashing technique and refrigeration.

Irish moss is mostly for keeping the trub out of the fermenter, and upping your efficiency by reducing kettle losses. Most of the final haze is yeast - which is taken out by gelatin, or chill haze,which can be improved with mashing technique and refrigeration.

so, you're saying that the few times i used irish moss, i was defeating the purpose by throwing everything into the fermentor? or would it still coagulate and drop out of suspension in the fermentor?

its only for the boil and it will keep trub down even in the fermenter but only if used in the boil

thanks. knew about the boil part, but good to confirm that i wasn't just wasting my time with it. that's mainly the reason i stopped using it

i'll have to find that jar during my next brew day

Whirlfloc is Irish moss, right??

Thanks for all the feedback guys , that's what I love this forum, when I get done with the moss I'll try the wirlfloc tablet

I don't find the Irish moss stinks I just put a teaspoon in ten minutes to go in boil.

I don't make a tea with it though as I've herd some people do.

Last edited:
I don't find the Irish moss stinks I just put a teaspoon in ten minutes to go in boil.

I don't make a tea with it though as I've herd some people do.
Tongue in cheek, but it does smell a bit like the beach at Galveston, TX at low tide.... Whirlfloc also has carageenan in it, a seaweed derivative. Both work to attract proteins, precipitating them out of the beer. Forgetting them? No great issue.

I've always crushed the half tablet and added it with my 10 min addition , it also means I can tell which cup is the 10 and which is the 0/whirlpool at a glance

Back