Old salt, new hobby

RetUSMC88

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm a retired Marine and have been wanting to home brew for years. I have finally taken that leap and have my first Irish Red burping and growing in my closet. Looking forward to learning and discussing ideas and recipes when I get to that level.

Welcome, ask away we're a good group here. Lots of different brewing levels and setups so you'll get plenty of different perspectives and help
Let us know how your first brew goes

I appreciate the feedback and the welcomes, you wont have to worry about the questions cause I will be asking.

My first question is, My wort started burping before 12 hours and I had a nice Krausen before 12 hours. I have looked everywhere and nothing really states when fermentation should start. Is this good or bad?

it might be too warm, its best to keep it on the cooler side say 65f

John Palmer how to brew is a great read for learning about the mysteries of hombrewing and our beer making friends the yeasties.

First phase ive lernt is the oxygen uptake by the yeast so even though fermentation has a lag doesnt mean nothing is happening then thier reproducing and munching on the surrounding neutrients and sugars youve provided them in the wort. Great beer is in part about keeping healththy happy yeast with great working conditions not too hot or that party turns into a full on rave not too cold or they may just quit on you and flock out.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome! Great place to learn and have some fun banter! Just finished our 12th homebrew this past weekend and have learned a ton from this site and the great members.

Thank you all for the welcomes. I look forward to learning my new hobby/obsession. Then helping other newbs like me.

welcome! Great group here. Fun hobby that pays.

Back