Oh my god, there's water profiles!

AsharaDayne

Trial Member
Reaction score
Well, here I am, just having realised water can have an impact on my brews. I've checked a few sources, but there seem to be a great number of ad hoc issues. So I'm coming to the community for advice.
I brew from extract, recently added steeping grains, but I don't expect to mash in the near future.
My main brewing target is hop-forward beers, rather on the dry and light-coloured side. For the nonce, malt presence is meh and sweetness is undesired.

Here is my water profile:
Calcium Magnesium Sulphate Chloride Sodium Bicarbonate
44.9 5.9 46.5 11.7 9.3 114

From what I gather, everything is relatively low, except bicarbonate, although I'm not sure what impact that has, exactly. Anyway, given my preferences, what would you say about my water? Any tweaks to recommend?

Well I'm just a beginner in this department but your sulphate to chloride ratio in your water seems about 4:1 not bad for you who likes hoppy dry beers my water ain't too far off yours but sulphate to chloride is more even and bicarbonate safe less.

Last edited:
Well, here I am, just having realised water can have an impact on my brews. I've checked a few sources, but there seem to be a great number of ad hoc issues. So I'm coming to the community for advice.
I brew from extract, recently added steeping grains, but I don't expect to mash in the near future.
My main brewing target is hop-forward beers, rather on the dry and light-coloured side. For the nonce, malt presence is meh and sweetness is undesired.

Here is my water profile:
Calcium Magnesium Sulphate Chloride Sodium Bicarbonate
44.9 5.9 46.5 11.7 9.3 114

From what I gather, everything is relatively low, except bicarbonate, although I'm not sure what impact that has, exactly. Anyway, given my preferences, what would you say about my water? Any tweaks to recommend?
You have pretty good water. Since you're doing extract, don't do anything to it. All the minerals needed are already in the extract. You could cut it 50% with distilled water but it's not necessary. You could add a bit of gypsum (calcium sulfate) or epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) to bring the hops a bit forward, again, not necessary. Since you're doing extract batches, you could even use distilled or RO water and the brew would not care.

OK, that's one thing less to worry about... I'm happy that my local water agrees with my desires.

Back