Odd Bin Brew

Ok it’s had time to condition and it’s not so bad. The yeast is by far the dominant smell and flavour, which is to be expected. I had no room in the fermentation chamber so it fermented with some big swings in temp as the weathers been nuts. Quite a lot of banana coming through. It’s drinkable, certainly better than throwing away the old ingredients.

Another thing I’ve noticed having drank a few is the poor head retention cos of the lack of wheat. I know that’s nothing new or unsurprising but it makes a difference to experience it rather than just read about it.

Yeah I don't put a lot of effort into head retention cause I plan to drink it fast enough it doesn't matter. But flaked oats (Quaker quick oats) also are said to help with head retention.

I can confirm that. The few beers that I have made that have had adjuncts in (wheat and flaked oats) all hold a head better than anything I have made with straight malted barley. Apart from that last strong Belgian Ale. But that had a lot of carbonation and is special.

Back