November BF Zoom Meeting

May take an early crack at the Novemberfest that day too. Had. Weeks in the bottle and will have had a week in the fridge by then

Taking the entire week off. Looking for trigger squeeze myself. May be towards our internet provider boxes as long as it is taking for fiber optic change over. We loose connection about every 3rd evening for an hour or so. Will toast along with everyone if possible.

@Nosybear I took a look at the Shady Bohemian Nosy style. I was curious about the Black Pearl. Googled it & found a Patagonia Outerwear jacket named Black Pearl. Ha ha. Farther down I found 3 pages with info on the malt.
I also found a forum on Homebrew Talk / Patagonia Black Pearl 340L, dated 5/2016. After complaining about availability the host/moderator & a member were talking about how to use it.
The recommendation was to steep BP on the side at 140 - 150 F & not to boil it. Add to the Kettle after Flame Out when Kettle temp is at 175 - 180 F. Repeated "Don't boil the Dark Malt" & that he got that idea from Gordon Strong.
I was wondering how you had planned to use the BP. Throw it in the Mash Tun, or steep it & add after the Flame Out.

@Nosybear I took a look at the Shady Bohemian Nosy style. I was curious about the Black Pearl. Googled it & found a Patagonia Outerwear jacket named Black Pearl. Ha ha. Farther down I found 3 pages with info on the malt.
I also found a forum on Homebrew Talk / Patagonia Black Pearl 340L, dated 5/2016. After complaining about availability the host/moderator & a member were talking about how to use it.
The recommendation was to steep BP on the side at 140 - 150 F & not to boil it. Add to the Kettle after Flame Out when Kettle temp is at 175 - 180 F. Repeated "Don't boil the Dark Malt" & that he got that idea from Gordon Strong.
I was wondering how you had planned to use the BP. Throw it in the Mash Tun, or steep it & add after the Flame Out.
Search for "Perla Negra". I'm just throwing it into the mash tun - I've found those mash capping, cold-steeping, etc. ideas take most of the character out of dark malt.

That was my original thought until I blundered onto that forum.
I really don't like the Black Prinz as it seems to taste like Ashley. I'm pretty sure that'swhat I was tasting in the beer I brought to your house for a review. I would like to swap it for Midnight Wheat or some other as you suggest.

I don't know what it is about Gordon Strong and his refusal to mash dark malts. I tried the mash capping bit a couple of times and I just wasn't happy with the results. I mean no disrespect to the guy as he has more knowledge about brewing than I'll ever have, but some of these suggested methods just don't seem to give the results that at least I'm looking for.

So, what's the thinking on swapping Midnight Wheat for Black Prinz. BTW, that was supposed to be taste like ASH not ashley.

So, what's the thinking on swapping Midnight Wheat for Black Prinz. BTW, that was supposed to be taste like ASH not ashley.
Not knowing what Ashley tastes like.... Yes, I went there, apologies where necessary. Midnight Wheat is a lot milder than Blackprinz, more of a Carafa-style dark malt. Wheat has no husks, so is similar to dehusked barley in flavor. I really like the Perla Negra is a dehusked barley, rather light in color for a roasted malt. Think of it more as a replacement for Carafa I - it's in the same Lovibond range and the same general type of malt. Vice versa works as well, if you have Carafa I, you can sub it for Perla Negra.

Does BH have Black Pearl in stock? If not I'll go for Carafa I
I was hoping to swap Black Prinz for another dark/black malt as I think it tastes like an ashtray.

Does BH have Black Pearl in stock? If not I'll go for Carafa I
I was hoping to swap Black Prinz for another dark/black malt as I think it tastes like an ashtray.
I don't think BH carries it. Carafa 1 is, to my tastebuds, an acceptable substitute.

You could also go with chocolate wheat if they have it.

So, 6 OZ Carafa I in place of Perla Negra & 3 OZ of Chocolate Wheat in place of Black Prinz. As I brew outdoors & the weather is supposed to be in the 30s through Thursday, I'll purchase makings today/tomorrow & brew Friday/Saturday. I'll start assembling my brew rig on Thursday. Looking forward to it.
Some new procedures this time.
Later

I used midnight wheat and caraffa 2 in substitute of the dark malts in the brew on the weekend sample tasted roast/ biscuit happy to say no harshness or sharp bitterness was perceived just roasty biscuit. Chocolate biscuits is what the mash smelt like.

I’ve never experienced an astringency mashing dark or roasted malts. Tasted nothing like that in my little taste of shady bohemian pre-fermenter

I'm glad you cleared that up. As I recall Ashley tasted real good. I thought you were disrespecting her.

I’ve never experienced an astringency mashing dark or roasted malts. Tasted nothing like that in my little taste of shady bohemian pre-fermenter

Same, I've never messed around with mash timing of dark grains. Largely because I forget and just mill it all up in one bucket. But it's never given me any bad outcomes.

This brew was a bunch of 1st for me. Both procedures & equipment as well as my 1st Lager brew.
Procedure change involved recirculating Wort through the Mash at step infusion time. Mash temp was raised from 152 F to 168 F over 20 min using the new Sparge Manifold Ward & I developed in parallel.
My normal practice is to include 1/2 lb of Rice Hulls in every recipe so Wort flows smoothly. Manifold worked well held 152 for an hour & 168 15 min followed by Sparge using same Manifold.
Discovered another advantage to Recirculating Mash, I had preheated the Strike Water to 160 F to anticipate heat loss to Grain. Oh crap, to hot. It didn't need that much heat. I recirced the Wort back to to the empty Kettle & back through Mash. By second pass temp had dropped to 152. BTW air temp was 45 F. I was able to adjust the temp up with burner on & down using radiation in the empty Kettle. Might not have worked as well if air temp was 90 F.
Another change was to use my sous videa (sp) to heat the Sparge Water to 170 while Mash was being conducted. In previous practice, I was hurrying to get the Sparge water from 50ish to 170 F before Mash step was complete & next step to not be delayed. It also included lifting 3 Gal of 170 F Sparge Water to 5 ft. Now I put the SV in the Igloo & set to 170 F & hold for 2 hours. When it's time for Sparge, I pump from Sparge tank (3 gal Igloo) through the same Manifold & hold for 15 min before draining to Kettle.
Finally, I have been circulating the hot Wort through an Emerson Chiller in a 12 gal water tank. The cooling time from 185 F to 65ish in about 90 min. By accident I was reminded that I had not completed a 2 part experiment. Velocity vs Volumn. My dip tube was pinched down to 1/16 ". After several timed runs my temp drop time was disappointing. Other advantages, cooling while whirlpooling, kept me using the technique. I forgot to perform the second step, full size outlet, the Volume flow. I had cut the end off restricted end of the Dip Tube but never got around to testing it. Volumn flow dramatically reduced the 50ish to 44 F pitch temp in less than 45 min.. success!
As the days are short & temps are low I broke my Brew Day into 2 parts, Mash on day 1 & Boil on day 2. Move from Mash Tun to Carboy with air check & stashed it inside overnight. Next day I poured the Carboy into the Kettle & fired up the burner. Boil & cool to Pitch temp went as normal. Returned boiled Wort to Primary Fermenter, Oxygenated & pitched Yeast.
As this is my 1st experience with Lager Yeast, Wyeast 2278, I was curious how things would proceed. Fermenter is in Conditioning Compartment with temp set to 44 F, day 1 no action in air check or on surface of brew. Day 2 more of the same. Day 3 Kreusan is 2" thick, later that day it's 3". But still no air check activity. Will raise temp 2 deg per day until reach 50 F. Ferment for 2 weeks at 50 F. Lager for 4 to 6 weeks at 33 F.
So far, all the new Equipment modifications & Procedures seem to work successfully. I'm excited to be brewing a Lager, especially Shady Bohemian with all of you. Thanks for the encouragement.

This brew was a bunch of 1st for me. Both procedures & equipment as well as my 1st Lager brew.
Procedure change involved recirculating Wort through the Mash at step infusion time. Mash temp was raised from 152 F to 168 F over 20 min using the new Sparge Manifold Ward & I developed in parallel.
My normal practice is to include 1/2 lb of Rice Hulls in every recipe so Wort flows smoothly. Manifold worked well held 152 for an hour & 168 15 min followed by Sparge using same Manifold.
Discovered another advantage to Recirculating Mash, I had preheated the Strike Water to 160 F to anticipate heat loss to Grain. Oh crap, to hot. It didn't need that much heat. I recirced the Wort back to to the empty Kettle & back through Mash. By second pass temp had dropped to 152. BTW air temp was 45 F. I was able to adjust the temp up with burner on & down using radiation in the empty Kettle. Might not have worked as well if air temp was 90 F.
Another change was to use my sous videa (sp) to heat the Sparge Water to 170 while Mash was being conducted. In previous practice, I was hurrying to get the Sparge water from 50ish to 170 F before Mash step was complete & next step to not be delayed. It also included lifting 3 Gal of 170 F Sparge Water to 5 ft. Now I put the SV in the Igloo & set to 170 F & hold for 2 hours. When it's time for Sparge, I pump from Sparge tank (3 gal Igloo) through the same Manifold & hold for 15 min before draining to Kettle.
Finally, I have been circulating the hot Wort through an Emerson Chiller in a 12 gal water tank. The cooling time from 185 F to 65ish in about 90 min. By accident I was reminded that I had not completed a 2 part experiment. Velocity vs Volumn. My dip tube was pinched down to 1/16 ". After several timed runs my temp drop time was disappointing. Other advantages, cooling while whirlpooling, kept me using the technique. I forgot to perform the second step, full size outlet, the Volume flow. I had cut the end off restricted end of the Dip Tube but never got around to testing it. Volumn flow dramatically reduced the 50ish to 44 F pitch temp in less than 45 min.. success!
As the days are short & temps are low I broke my Brew Day into 2 parts, Mash on day 1 & Boil on day 2. Move from Mash Tun to Carboy with air check & stashed it inside overnight. Next day I poured the Carboy into the Kettle & fired up the burner. Boil & cool to Pitch temp went as normal. Returned boiled Wort to Primary Fermenter, Oxygenated & pitched Yeast.
As this is my 1st experience with Lager Yeast, Wyeast 2278, I was curious how things would proceed. Fermenter is in Conditioning Compartment with temp set to 44 F, day 1 no action in air check or on surface of brew. Day 2 more of the same. Day 3 Kreusan is 2" thick, later that day it's 3". But still no air check activity. Will raise temp 2 deg per day until reach 50 F. Ferment for 2 weeks at 50 F. Lager for 4 to 6 weeks at 33 F.
So far, all the new Equipment modifications & Procedures seem to work successfully. I'm excited to be brewing a Lager, especially Shady Bohemian with all of you. Thanks for the encouragement.
Sounds like you had an absolute ball:D.
Thats why I like the idea of this Community brewersfriend recipe it will make us brew beers we dont normally brew like lager beer in your instance and different beer styles outside of Pale Ale IPA Blonde and light lager for me;).

Back