Nottingham: Lallemand vs Danstar vs Lalbrew vs High Performance

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
As many of you know, I love Nottingham Ale yeast and have recommended it to others. I have also had or seen questions on the actual name. I myself find the name thing confusing at times... The only consistency seems to be "Nottingham".

So, this morning I e-mail Lallemand about the names and why there are so many... Their response was fast - and spot on with what I was "assuming". Here's my initial inquiry and their response:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lallemand,

Just curious - what's with "Danstar" and Lallemand and lalbrew? Why so many names? It can make things so confusing... Now, there is a Niottingham "high performance ale yeast" - is this just new packaging or is it different than Nottingham in some way?

I'd really love some clarification on all the different names/labels out there for what I assume to be ONE yeast...

BTW - I love Nottingham! It makes such a deliciously clean beer! Very lager-like!

Jon Shutt- aka BlackMuse - aka Shuttz_Icehaus (seems we all got a few names ;) )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your question, I am glad you are having great results using Nottingham!

I understand the confusion about the names. We recently re-branded our products and changed the packaging. Older packages listed Danstar, but this is not included on the new packages. Some distributors and retailers may still have images of the old packaging, so it can be a bit confusing.

The LalBrew® refers to all Lallemand brewing yeasts. Similarly, our wine group refers to their strains as Lalvin® (“vin” = wine, in French). Our distilling group refers to their strains as Distilamax. These prefixes help to distinguish the yeast based on which market they are targeted at.

Nothing has changed about the yeast itself. As long as you see Nottingham on the label, it will always be the same yeast. The rest is just marketing.

Cheers,
Eric Abbott, M.Sc.

Global Technical Advisor | Technical Sales Manager (Canada)

Lallemand Brewing – #WeBrewWithYou

Mobile: +1 514 513 3900

eabbott@lallemand.com

www.lallemandbrewing.com

So I take that as the high performance is the same. Which is what I kinda figured. Just was kinda confused when I unloaded my phoned-in order from my LHBS and it said high performance. Was like was this what I asked for?

So I take that as the high performance is the same. Which is what I kinda figured. Just was kinda confused when I unloaded my phoned-in order from my LHBS and it said high performance. Was like was this what I asked for?
Yeah. I read your post this morning and that is what spurred me to contact them. All the different names were getting confusing. Lol.

Just new branding... In another year it.should be streamlined to the new look.

Back