Not enough orange flavor

Greta's Brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just put a chocolate orange stout into the secondary. I boiled an oz. of bitter orange peel towards the end of the boil but when I tasted it before I put it into the secondary I did not taste any orange flavor. My question is will the orange flavor come out more after it matures a little or should I add some more orange flavor. If I did have to add some more orange flavor I was thinking of using fresh squeezed orange juice and adding it to the secondary after boiling it for a little bit. What do you guys think?

Try it again in secondary, near the end of the process. If there's not enough then, simply add some zest, either fresh or dried, to the carboy, let it stand overnight and taste again. Repeat until you're happy.

flavors start to stand out more with carbonation, without it your mostly tasting sugar which can mask any flavors I would wait, but then again dried packaged orange peal wont give you flavor like fresh, cut 3 oranges up take the peels and throw them in the secondary or primary after fermintation

Might want to wait. I have an american wheat going right now that I put some lemon in. Never could taste any lemon flavor until i bottled it ... used just 0.3 oz of lemon peel in boil and 0.5 oz of lemon zest in secondary. Last night I pulled an early bottle to check the flavor and it's definitely there now.

Followed the advice I've read here many times that it's easier to add more or brew again with more than it is to get it out if you go to far.

Back