No Mashout

Interesting, hope you don't mind if I pursue this a little further jmac...

So Bob, if my total water volume is 8.6 gallons, with 12.6 lbs of grist, mash thickness 1.5g/lb, strike 4.7g, should I just do a batch Sparge with the balance of the water after first runnings?
Yep. It takes effort to get astringency from a batch sparge, so just use whatever is left over after mashing.

So Bob, if my total water volume is 8.6 gallons, with 12.6 lbs of grist, mash thickness 1.5g/lb, strike 4.7g, should I just do a batch Sparge with the balance of the water after first runnings?

That's all I do, it typically ends up around half and half for mash in and sparge when I am sparging. Additionally I use hot tap water with a campden tablet and just sparge with that, works pretty good and saves a lot of time.

Thought I responded to this already, but guess not. That's plenty close IMO. You should be just fine.

One less step, same result, I'm down with it Jimmy!

Back