No carb with s-04 yeast

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
So I have a curious case of bottle carbonation.
I brewed a batch with s-04 yeast,bottled it at FG.
I also had another batch bottled,but with s33 yeast.
Been carving now 5 days.
Checked the s33 yeast bottle and a satisfactory hiss escaped from the bottle and poured a glass.
Good,not great bubbles,but it's still early.
The s-04 bottles are completely flat, tried three of them.
Both strains were bottled same time,kept at same temp.
No straining or filtering before bottling.
I added a pinch of yeast slurry to a bottle and tried it this morning.
Nice pfft on opening,some bubbles too.
Is the s-04 yeast dead,tired when I bottled it?
Never had this before with other yeast.
Any advice

Ok,I'm going to bottle the rest today.
I think I should add some of my stored yeast slurry to the bottling bucket.
Good idea?
Also,it's about 10 litres, approx how much slurry should I add?
The three bottles that I added yeast to yesterday it was about the tip of a sharp knife amount of slurry.

5 days is not enough time in my experience, I normally wait at least 2 weeks before getting into it

5 days is not enough time in my experience, I normally wait at least 2 weeks before getting into it
I know yes,but with other yeasts I had a decent carb after 5 days,albeit not fully carbed.
As I said,I popped in a smidge of yeast slurry from other yeast into the offending bottles yesterday and out of curiosity,I opened it this afternoon.
I know,way too early,lol,but the pfft was definitely better.

You need 2-3 weeks. S04 always carbed for me and I’ve used it probably 25 times. What temp are they sitting at?

Typically 3 weeks at 70F and is what it takes for full carb. My least favorite homebrew ingredient is time :)

You need 2-3 weeks. S04 always carbed for me and I’ve used it probably 25 times. What temp are they sitting at?
It's sitting at 22celc.
Guess I got used to a drinkable carbed at 7 days.
Alcohol ban pushing it too,lol .
First time I used this yeast , other yeasts had a drinkable carbed beer after 5 days...
But like I said,I popped some s33 yeast slurry into the bottling bucket just to speed it up

Try bottle at least 1 PET bottle when bottling.
It makes it much easier to assess what is going on!

It's sitting at 22celc.
Guess I got used to a drinkable carbed at 7 days.
Alcohol ban pushing it too,lol .
First time I used this yeast , other yeasts had a drinkable carbed beer after 5 days...
But like I said,I popped some s33 yeast slurry into the bottling bucket just to speed it up
It is not necessary to add more yeast, unfortunately time is the only answer. If you just need alcohol, you could just drink them un-carbonated.

It is not necessary to add more yeast, unfortunately time is the only answer. If you just need alcohol, you could just drink them un-carbonated.
Blasphemy!!!
Lol,I actually did try one like that,aargh,it was horrible.
Alcohol and sweet mixture, with a slight taste of what aroma and flavour could have been.
That's after I chilled it,lol.
But I'll see ,I bought myself a bottle of the good old Captain Morgan rum on the black market (oops).
That's cool enough to take me through the week,miss the beer though

Wait,I forgot!
While scrounging through my crates to get bottles to fill,I found a liter of blonde ale,been there probably a month.
The fizz and carbonation brought tears to my eyes in this beer ban!
Blasphemy!!!
Lol,I actually did try one like that,aargh,it was horrible.
Alcohol and sweet mixture, with a slight taste of what aroma and flavour could have been.
That's after I chilled it,lol.
But I'll see ,I bought myself a bottle of the good old Captain Morgan rum on the black market (oops).
That's cool enough to take me through the week,miss the beer though

Yes if you didn’t filter the yeast out there is enough to carb. Just got to wait

Yes if you didn’t filter the yeast out there is enough to carb. Just got to wait
Ok,I understand that,in the context when using S-04 yeast?
Because,honestly,I've had beers carb up within 6 days to a drinkable point when using other yeasts,namely kveik,safale S33 .
What I'm asking is this a trait of this yeast S-04,that it takes longer to carb ,even when storing at the recommended temp.?
I'm not exaggerating when I say I had a drinkable beer after those days with that particular yeasts.
Is there something I'm missing with the carbonation prep with S-04 yeast?
I followed the instructions with fermentation and was actually pedantic with this one as the others were more forgiving.
It was a lazy start to fermentation kickoff compared to my other yeasts, but I tried this one because I would like a cleaner beer.
S33 yeast was breaking away from base of bottle when I was pouring and this new yeast promised a more compact base at bottle.
Yet,I wonder if it stalled most yeast in its base and left too little suspended for bottle conditioning...

I’m not sure I’ve never had an issue with it but I’ve never checked that soon. Kveik is much faster in getting started and could be similar for carbonation. I never checked bottles where I used Kveik before 2 weeks either. Sorry I’m not more help there. There “should” be plenty of yeast left to bottle. S04 flocs does hard but still should be fine in a few weeks.

Every fermentation is different to some degree. Different worts fermented under very similar conditions, even with the same yeast strain, may vary in both fermentation and conditioning times. S-04 is a very flocculent yeast strain, so tends to leave less yeast in suspension than many other strains. Less yeast can mean slower carbonation.

Yes,I'm reasoning the yeast did its job and dropped... dormant..
Even I can't believe that,but seen that I'm faced with this situation and comparitit to previous brewing with other yeasts,it's the only conclusion I can come to,barring others I haven't heard.
Same temp carbing for other yeast brands and acceptable carbonation with those even after 5 days,yet,still flat when using S-04 yeast hmm
Every fermentation is different to some degree. Different worts fermented under very similar conditions, even with the same yeast strain, may vary in both fermentation and conditioning times. S-04 is a very flocculent yeast strain, so tends to leave less yeast in suspension than many other strains. Less yeast can mean slower carbonation.

I'll see what my little experiment pulls up.
I added a little slurry to a bottling bucket from a S33 yeast that carbonated good in other batches.
9 days , good drinkable carbonation.
If this batch of S-04 yeast brewed beer wakes up and carbonates even a little in the next 6 days,I could assume the S-04 is dormant.
I will compare it to two bottles that is untreated.

Back