No action in Carboy!!

bradentanner22

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm having no action in my Carboy after pitching my yeast 8 hours ago. All my foam from force carbonating has drizzled down to barely nothing and I definitely don't have any bubbles coming from my tube. i had I final gravity of 1.051 and pitched my "medium gravity" yeast when the wort was around 60 degrees. It's now sitting in a closet at 68 degrees. What should I do?

If I'm understanding you correctly, it's only been 8'hours of fermentation? If so, give the little guys some more time, that's 5+ gallons of sugar water they have to go through :)

What was the starting gravity? And what was the first yeast you used? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by force carbing it. Did you mean aerating?

I think you did good with getting the fermentor to a warmer area, that might wake them up a bit. Also, the movement probably stirred them up a bit as well. Hopefully, with a bit more info, we can get to the bottom of it

What should you do? Wait! To help pass your time, look up RDWHAHB. You probably don't have a thing going wrong.

Either of your temps seem to be in range for that yeast, although at the outside of the ideal range. Did you rehydrate in water first or just pitch right into the wort? Stressed yeast could explain the lag

Ah crap. I just pitched it right in. I feel I should mention that this is my first home brew. Lol how long do y'all give it before y'all start worrying? And if so, what can/do you do?

No worries, mistakes are how we all learn.

I'd give it a few more days before you check the gravity again. If it still hasn't changed, then there's a problem.

Well thanks guys! I just wrapped a large ice pack in a towel around my Carboy. Hopeful that'll bring the temp down to the ideal range. I keep posted.

I use S-04 for many of my recipes. I pitch it dry, and ferment at 68°F.

If you are at 68F, you probably don't need the ice pack. That will only slow down the yeast activity. For your first beer, 68F is fine.

Also, dry pitching your yeast will work. Hydrating works better. Its just a matter of the number of cells that survive the hydration process. Dry pitching will cost you some cells. Still works though.

I may have missed this if its been asked but did you shake the carboy and get enough oxygen in the wort?

Fellas we have major fermentation going on. She's cruising away at a steady 69F. She started yesterday morning and has really taken off. Thanks for all the help and input. Happy brewings!

Back