Nitro Tap Keg Connector?

Here4TheBeers

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had one of these nitro tap keg connectors? I just purchased one. I have a keg of stout conditioning with nitro and wanted to try and use this to get the usual nitro pour since I don't have a normal tap system/kegerator set up right now.

If anyone does have one, can you recommend a serving pressure? Currently set at ~30 PSI for conditioning, but I think that might be too high for serving directly from the post.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/draft-brewer-nitro-snap-tap

Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Pat

Sorry, I have never used nitrogen in a beer before. If you don't get any useful information here, may I suggest that you ask a local craft brewer (assuming you have one) what their process is?

For$130, i won't be finding out, lol.

Unless they have something that lowers flow rate \ pressure. You will get nothing but foam. I have 2 ball lock - faucet adapters. Don't use em.

As for serving pressure, ya. Less than 5psi for a direct from keg faucet.

I think in this instance, I might make a visit to my local homebrew store. It looks like you might have a couple in your area.
When I bought my CO2 system, I went in and spoke to somebody, told them what I wanted, and I got what I needed.

My guy at the LHBS doesn't have or use a nitro setup unfortunately, but I've asked him to reach out to a few other customers that do, so we'll see where that gets me. I've also asked in a FB group.

To the actual question, unless hear from someone with direct knowledge, I'm likely leaning towards dropping PSI in increments and doing smaller pours to dial it in when serving time comes. The product page says to keep PSI low, but doesn't specify what "low" means.

My guy at the LHBS doesn't have or use a nitro setup unfortunately, but I've asked him to reach out to a few other customers that do, so we'll see where that gets me. I've also asked in a FB group.

To the actual question, unless hear from someone with direct knowledge, I'm likely leaning towards dropping PSI in increments and doing smaller pours to dial it in when serving time comes. The product page says to keep PSI low, but doesn't specify what "low" means.
Yeah I've got no Idea here as well.
But if I were to purchase one and carbonate at 30psi like you have my kegging mind would go straight to standard serving pressure on a co2 rig so I'd drop psi to 10-12 and pour off a beer.

There is some disk in the faucet/tap to right that causes this cascading foam effect?

I'm guessing it'd be a 2 or three pour style situation like when getting a Guiness at the bar.
First four till foam hits the rim of the glass
Let settle for a minute or two then repeat process until a nice frothy has been achieved.

Dude when you do this send in some Nitro pour pics please:)

If the serving pressure is too high it'll just be shooting out hard into the glass surely regardless of the carbonation gas you don't want this more of a even flow making it easier for you to control the pour...

Yeah I've got no Idea here as well.
But if I were to purchase one and carbonate at 30psi like you have my kegging mind would go straight to standard serving pressure on a co2 rig so I'd drop psi to 10-12 and pour off a beer.

There is some disk in the faucet/tap to right that causes this cascading foam effect?

I'm guessing it'd be a 2 or three pour style situation like when getting a Guiness at the bar.
First four till foam hits the rim of the glass
Let settle for a minute or two then repeat process until a nice frothy has been achieved.

Dude when you do this send in some Nitro pour pics please:)

If the serving pressure is too high it'll just be shooting out hard into the glass surely regardless of the carbonation gas you don't want this more of a even flow making it easier for you to control the pour...

Thanks man, yeah, this is exactly where my mind is at right now. If 10-12psi is still too much, I can drop it some more. but yeah, that even pour is what I'm looking for. If done right it should be similar to getting a nitro pour at the bar - fill 3/4 way, settle, then fill to the top, keeping the head nice and fluffy.

According to the product page, there is a restrictor plate (or equivalent) in this thing, so that part should be fine.

I'll definitely post my experience and pics - good or bad - once this gets up and running next weekend.

So i did a bit of research. If you are charging the beer on a 25/75 or 30/70 beer mix, then 35psi is where you serve. The nitrogen pushes the beer through the stout faucet and the higher pressure actually equates to about 12psi on co2, so it should be carbonated properly. o_O:confused:

So i did a bit of research. If you are charging the beer on a 25/75 or 30/70 beer mix, then 35psi is where you serve. The nitrogen pushes the beer through the stout faucet and the higher pressure actually equates to about 12psi on co2, so it should be carbonated properly. o_O:confused:
Wow there ya go!
Thanks Minbari something new learned today :)

Never used mixed gas for homebrew but it's very common in commercial settings. I don't know anything about those taps but the internals will likely be something like this
CreamerNozzle.JPG

Usual gas for stouts and creamier pales etc. is 30/70, pressure will be around 35psi but will need a bit of 'suck it and see' depending on pipe bore and length plus product temp.

With guinness in particular there's no restriction until the beer hits the restrictor plate at the nozzle. It runs in 3/8 pipe from keg to tap with no stepping down in bore size at the back of the tap.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a special 'nitro' tap because it's only the internals of the nozzle that are any different as far as I can see.

A very interesting approach to homebrew I have to say, but nitro beers do look great as they pour.

Back