Nice web site, missing critical resources.

What altitude do you brew at?

• Sea level

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • 1000-4000 ft

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 4000-6000 ft

• above 6000 ft

• Total voters

Grognard

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am a high altitude brewer, which means I need to adjust hop utilization and boil temperature (if ever taken into account by the software) for my equipment to get accurate recipes. I currently use Brewtarget, which has these features, but I'd prefer to use (and am willing to pay for) this tool because of the web interface. Please advise.

I am, in trial mode, but I'm actually doing the recipes formulation in both Brewtarget and Brewer's Friend. So far, I'm seeing small differences in ingredient calculations, leading to higher OG and large differences in IBU calcs (60.7 in brewtarget vs 86.29 in Brewer's Friend, which is larger than 18% (I have brewtarget configured for 82% utilization, but that's nearly 35% different)). The volumes are higher in Brewer's Friend as well, and I have those very dialed in with Brewtarget. I'm not really sure why the volumes would be different though, unless grain absorption is determined differently. Anyway, it's a nice website, so I may use it, at least for a couple of recipes but if the volumes, gravity and IBU calculations are off, it's not going to be very useful.

I suppose youve dialed in your brewery to brewtarget software? I think if you can dial it in to this brewersfriend software to get your volumes absorbtions boil off and losses sorted in your personal profile settings than youll be laughing. Ive been using brewersfriend brew ware for over a year now and im 95% confident that the grist hops and minerals in water profile that i input into their recipie calculator is what ill end up with in the glass a few weeks later. Like with all things you have to get to know the software and trial it.

Most differences i get are usually from own deviations ive taken on brewday eg hop times missed wind affecting boil off so boiled longer therfore increasing ibus or just plain drunken forgetfullness:p!

I am, in trial mode, but I'm actually doing the recipes formulation in both Brewtarget and Brewer's Friend. So far, I'm seeing small differences in ingredient calculations, leading to higher OG and large differences in IBU calcs (60.7 in brewtarget vs 86.29 in Brewer's Friend, which is larger than 18% (I have brewtarget configured for 82% utilization, but that's nearly 35% different)). The volumes are higher in Brewer's Friend as well, and I have those very dialed in with Brewtarget. I'm not really sure why the volumes would be different though, unless grain absorption is determined differently. Anyway, it's a nice website, so I may use it, at least for a couple of recipes but if the volumes, gravity and IBU calculations are off, it's not going to be very useful.

Don't forget to make sure your equipment profile is set up correctly, as well as your boil off and boil volume size. The volumes are targeted to your input and your losses so that would explain the variance.

Back