(NEXT RELEASE) Setting up water volumes

Head First

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something or do I really need to calculate out my own initial mash in volume for my recipes? Currently I either calculate out without software or wait until brew day to come up with my initial mash water requirement. All the info is in my profile so shouldn't the software be doing this for me? Is there an easy way to enter it in the recipe stats without beginning the brew session?

Re: Setting up water volumes

We'll be adding strike water volume to the water requirements read out very soon! Others have asked for it in the brew steps section, or at the top of the brew session page. Do you have a preference for where you would like it to appear?

The Brew -> Mash Calculator tab does display that, and let's you adjust the mash thickness, but it is tucked away.

My thought was all of my info such as mash thickness etc. are in my profile so is there some way for the recipe editor to enter a default mash strike volume as you are building the recipe? I batch sparge usually twice and others fly sparge so I realize there will be lots of variables connected with the sparge but the initial strike water calculations can all come from profile defaults couldn't they?

On the recipe editor I'd think we'd need a button that you can 'update strike volume', after getting the grains setup to your liking.

Yes an update button would work for me. Would you include that on the initial mash step or maybe a box of its own? I see the complications arising with the way the mash steps are set up so.....
Maybe it would be simpler to just add the "initial mash strike water" as an entry with the recipe tool "quick water requirements". That would make this calculation accessable without beginning a Brew Session.

Great news, the next release will add the strike water volume calculation to the water requirements readout!

There are many variables of interest to pull in from the water requirements - like strike volume and boil volume. So, we'll have to add buttons somewhere, eventually. The trouble is, once you cross into water requirements, the recipe and the equipment become tangled. We are trying to keep the recipe and the equipment independent. The water volumes is where they intersect, but it would be slightly differently for each brewer. This keeps me up at night, but you shouldn't have to worry about it! :cool:

Now, at least you can see the strike volume before making a brew session, which is good. Thanks for the feedback sir!

The screenshot below is for a batch with 12 pounds of grain.

Attachments

• water_requirements.png
    water_requirements.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,225

Will help out just fine. I see where trying to do it on the recipe editor sheet would get crazy and I'm not all that on 'puters. In order for the software to do the calculations this will work. Thanks :)

Back