Newbie to Water Additions

BEFORE retesting - If you are on a municipal water supply, they are likely required to report basic water chemistry to the state environmental agency (at a minimum) and likely can be found by contacting under a name like "Water and Sewer" or similar agency name. Anyway, the basic chemistry should be available. Even better, stop by and talk to the chemist and let them know why you are asking and they may open up and give you a world of information. The US Geological Service has a lot of information about water aquifers, too. Locally, the micro-breweries just filtered the chlorine and particulates, and otherwise the water was perfect for brewing. FYI - I started my life in science as certified municipal water/wastewater operator before venturing into research.

Yeah, I tried that. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything like what Ward labs produces. Seems odd that they wouldn't be able to provide that to their customers. Oh well, I'll just have to order another kit.

Good idea though.

Yeah, I tried that. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything like what Ward labs produces. Seems odd that they wouldn't be able to provide that to their customers. Oh well, I'll just have to order another kit.

Good idea though.
I'm not saying you should have them test your water but rather get the test results for your municipal water system. Depending upon your state, these could be online and be readily available. In addition, just about every manufacturing/processing company utilizing the water supply likely has this data, too. The following is an example of a water testing database and there are others, too. https://ofmpub.epa.gov/apex/safewater/f?p=136:102::::::

Most municipal water systems report what they are required to, and not more.

They report contaminates and so on, for safety reasons. They likely don't report things that brewers are interested in. My own municipality was no help at all, except from a safety standpoint.

Most municipal water systems report what they are required to, and not more.

They report contaminates and so on, for safety reasons. They likely don't report things that brewers are interested in. My own municipality was no help at all, except from a safety standpoint.

That is exactly what I ran into. They had no clue what I was looking for even though I spelled it out for them and provided a sample document of what it should show.

No worries, that's just the way it goes.

Aurora, Colorado Water Department provides an Online Water Report with a section named Of Special Interest to Aquarium Owners & Brewers. Shows the Water Sources through out the year. I found everything I needed there. I recommend Bru'n Water. The no charge version works great.
Enjoy.
Bob Tittle

Aurora, Colorado Water Department provides an Online Water Report with a section named Of Special Interest to Aquarium Owners & Brewers. Shows the Water Sources through out the year. I found everything I needed there. I recommend Bru'n Water. The no charge version works great.
Enjoy.
Bob Tittle
I'm glad to see someone gets what I'm saying. If you ask or call these municipal or USGS folks, they can be very helpful and actually interested in what you are doing. That is why I gave the database with the phone numbers. As a retired researcher and previously certified municipal water system operator, I tried to share this and other places to get great water information - for free.

I'm glad to see someone gets what I'm saying. If you ask or call these municipal or USGS folks, they can be very helpful and actually interested in what you are doing. That is why I gave the database with the phone numbers. As a retired researcher and previously certified municipal water system operator, I tried to share this and other places to get great water information - for free.

Sounds like I may have inadvertently ruffled some feathers here. If that is the case, I apologize for that. No ill will intended.

On a similar note, I totally get what you are saying. I actually did reach out to them. Most people are willing to help a guy out. However, the challenge that I ran into was that they didn't seem to have what I was looking for or simply didn't care enough to go investigate a bit to find it.

However, it's also possible that I wasn't clear enough with them so that they could understand. I'll probably reach out to them again to see if maybe I just ended up talking to the wrong person in the water utility department. Sometimes you have to give it a few shots before you get it right.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

You just hit on the other answer to the problem. I, too, live in Aurora (and have enjoyed having a beer with Firedome). Before the city began publishing the numbers we need, I called the city engineers. They were happy to tell me what I needed to know. Call the city if they don't publish the numbers. Worst case, offer the engineers a pint (or bottles, in the time of social distancing). We engineers love to talk about our work and think about it: How many people ever talk to the water engineers?

Edmonton posts a reading on their website that is really good for brewing once you know how to read it.

You just hit on the other answer to the problem. I, too, live in Aurora (and have enjoyed having a beer with Firedome). Before the city began publishing the numbers we need, I called the city engineers. They were happy to tell me what I needed to know. Call the city if they don't publish the numbers. Worst case, offer the engineers a pint (or bottles, in the time of social distancing). We engineers love to talk about our work and think about it: How many people ever talk to the water engineers?

I was talking to one guy who called his local water company, and found another homebrewer there and got all the information they needed.

I was not so lucky- just given the report that shows that the water is safe to drink. Actually, that happened in both of my cities (I have two primary residences). I know that the water is safe, but not the things I need to brew. So I had to pay for a water report from Ward Labs for both of those residences that are serviced by city water companies.

I was talking to one guy who called his local water company, and found another homebrewer there and got all the information they needed.

I was not so lucky- just given the report that shows that the water is safe to drink. Actually, that happened in both of my cities (I have two primary residences). I know that the water is safe, but not the things I need to brew. So I had to pay for a water report from Ward Labs for both of those residences that are serviced by city water companies.
Bummer! We are such a beer-friendly city that the engineer I talked to was likely already lobbying for publishing the information in the city's water report. Still, I'd give calling the engineers a try.

Back