New to the Forum

Cavemanugg

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the Forum but have been brewing for many years (so not so young as some who have introduced themselves!). I am looking forward to taking my all grain brewing to the next level, by incorporating some advice from the forum. I am a little confused by the current interest in "black" IPA. Doesn't IPA stand for India PALE Ale. Surely these blck beers are not Pale by any stretch of the imagination! So I am interested to hear some opinions on this issue. In my book, the black beers are Stouts and Porters (regardless of the hop content).

First of all welcome to the forums second I'm not much of an IPA man I like my German lagers but I do agree black beer is nowhere near pale beer but to each his own and that is one of the nice things about Brewing as you can get as creative as you really want to

I agree. I had a pint of Sadlers black IPA in my local and pointed out it sounded like a contradiction of terms! I will stick to traditional IPA's.

Hi,

I am new to the Forum but have been brewing for many years (so not so young as some who have introduced themselves!). I am looking forward to taking my all grain brewing to the next level, by incorporating some advice from the forum. I am a little confused by the current interest in "black" IPA. Doesn't IPA stand for India PALE Ale. Surely these blck beers are not Pale by any stretch of the imagination! So I am interested to hear some opinions on this issue. In my book, the black beers are Stouts and Porters (regardless of the hop content).
Style-wise I would agree with you. But hey... brewing beer that tastes good, or crosses style lines isn't a crime. Maybe a new style will be granted for IDA! :D

Cheers and welcome aboard!

Ps. I love Dark Beers and IPA's, so it seems a match made in heaven to me! Now I need a recipe for an IDA!

first welcome to th forum, so think of it as an acronym not a definition, people are thinking of the acronym IPA as very hoppy beer and not really Knowing or thinking of what the 3 letters mean its just a blind term today I guess

I guess the correct term should be IBA lol

Last edited:
welcome!
i believe the Black (or the Brown, Red, White, etc.) is really just the color, not the taste. so you want a Black IPA to be dark as sin, but still as hoppy as all get out.
i had a pale stout while back that a buddy loved (he doesn't like dark beers). goes to show that presentation plays a lot into our perception of food and drink

Welcome great choice of forums mate you'll like it here;).
You know the Pale Ale style has a pretty broad category why not just tack on a Black IPA:p.

Last edited:

Back