New to brewing, what could I do with these ingredients?

Kendo

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I have done about 3- 5 gallon(extract) batches of the same recipe and want to try something new. They have all turned out good. I am hoping for some suggestions for grains and additional hops, Since my previous batches I have tried to pick up extra ingredients but now realize I may want to go in another direction. I would like to use what I have below. I really like IPA`s

I have the following ingredients: My cupboard
15lbs gold malt extract
2lbs english caramalt(can I use these with other grains in my steep for an IPA?)
1lb fawcett pale chocolate (as I read more about these I think they may be for porters or stouts not IPA`s)
15 oz of Galena Hops
(also have the following cultures-white labs calf ale yeast, brithish ale yeast and sarfale ale yeast- dry)

I am hoping someone can see a good extract recipe with these with me purchasing some more grains ?(and additional hops if need be but would like to use these up) I dont think I fully understand the combo-ing of the grain mixes yet....( a little)
Any help is greatly appreciated and or direction.

Thank You
Sincerely
Kendo

also forgot to mention I have 4lbs of dextrose.

for a nice amber you could go with

6 pounds DME
1 pound Cara Malt
.25 pound Chocolate

1 ounce 60 minute hop addition
.5 ounce 15 minute hop addition

Thank you Quality home brew, I appreciate the suggestion. Thats exactly what i was looking for.

Live dangerously and put some of the chocolate in an IPA-like beer. I haven't used much Galena but what I'd do with this (I'm not providing you a recipe, merely some thoughts as to how I'd use those ingredients):

About 1.065 points using the golden malt extract (should yield about a 6% ABV beer).
Steep about a half-pound of the crystal malt with about 3-4 ounces of the Chocolate and add to the boil.
At this point you have a fairly sweet base (I like sweet based IPAs).
Bitter to about 50 IBUs using the Galena, additions at 60 and 30 minutes.
Go out and buy a couple ounces of your favorite flavor hop and use them at 20, 10 minutes and at flameout. How you divide them out is up to you. You're looking for about 60-65 IBUs final, remembering the additions at 20 mins and 10 mins are for flavor, at 0 mins is for aroma.
Ferment with WLP 060 or similar American yeast (if you like Americans) or an English ale yeast if you like English IPAs.
With the remaining half-ounce of your flavor hop, dry hop about 3 days before you think you'll be bottling.
Bottle to about 2.5 vols carbon dioxide, age two further weeks, then tell me how it comes out!

Forgot to mention: You can use the Recipe Builder on this site to develop those suggestions into a recipe. If you're really new to brewing (that is, you have a few batches under your belt), you might consider doing more of a pale ale, same general idea, just bittered to no more than 40 IBUs, and do a couple batches using the same recipe to see how good your process is.

the recipe wasn't an ipa its a mellow amber ale based on what he has, should be good

Excellent thank both NB and QHB!
I will mix it up and add the chocolate malt and see what become of it. Exciting... I like ambers too.
I am on my way out to pick up some crystal malt 40 and some Cascade hops(aroma), I may also get some crytal 20, I am learning to buy in bulk so I can experiment a little and staying away from the pre- built kits( not that there is anything wrong with them)but I think I learn better this way.

Thanks again really!

Kendo

Back