New Style Guide vs the 2008 Version

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Last night I finished up submitting my entries to the Colorado State Fair Homebrew Competition. They're still using the 2008 style guide. That means my Piwo Grodziskie and my Kentucky Common would have to compete with "Other smoked beers" and "American Brown Ale" respectively, something neither are really designed to do. I'm a bit PO'd: I was really hoping to compete in the new "Historical" category.

Anyone else out there encountering competitions that refuse to let go of the past? And any comments on the new style guide? I know we've had discussions here before and think it might be a good time, a year later, to revisit our opinions of the new style guidelines.

not really a direct comment, but that's amazing that they're using almost a 10 yr old version. i'm sure each year isn't a drastic rewrite of things, but that's a lot of time for things to change and be refined.

i mean, what is the avid IPA brewer supposed to do, just group things into "American" and "English" categories? :roll: (i say with tongue firmly in cheek)

speaking of styles...

is it possible to add some styles on the recipe editor? India Pale Lager is one i'd like to see. Imperial Brown. Imperial Red, uhh. I'm sure there's more i'm forgetting.

And modify some of the other ones that don't have any benchmarks whatsoever? Christmas ales, Holiday Ales, etc, ... I'm real OCD for that green check mark.

drunk ideas now that i'm on a roll here. can i just define my own styles on the editor? Forget about brewing styles inside a tiny box of specs, lets be creative and call it what we want. lemme edit those styles, mods.

First ask for more styles, THEN ask to be able to create your own? You are drunk!!! :lol:

Nosybear said:
Last night I finished up submitting my entries to the Colorado State Fair Homebrew Competition. They're still using the 2008 style guide. That means my Piwo Grodziskie and my Kentucky Common would have to compete with "Other smoked beers" and "American Brown Ale" respectively, something neither are really designed to do. I'm a bit PO'd: I was really hoping to compete in the new "Historical" category.

Anyone else out there encountering competitions that refuse to let go of the past? And any comments on the new style guide? I know we've had discussions here before and think it might be a good time, a year later, to revisit our opinions of the new style guidelines.

When I first read the new guidelines I thought they went overboard but as new beers popped up it was ...ok, what else have you got. Beer styles are growing quickly because of home brewers. We constantly push the limits. I am proud to be a part of it. You sir are one of the reasons that the guidelines have began to change. Don't fit in? Deal with it because we have continued (spearheaded) a movement that has been going on for centuries. Continue with your exploration and enjoy being part of something that started years ago and will go on. Remember "Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy". Quoted by Ben Franklin (I'm pretty sure we make better beer than he did :D )
Prost to "Home Brewing"

Head First said:
Nosybear said:

When I first read the new guidelines I thought they went overboard but as new beers popped up it was ...ok, what else have you got. Beer styles are growing quickly because of home brewers. We constantly push the limits. I am proud to be a part of it. You sir are one of the reasons that the guidelines have began to change. Don't fit in? Deal with it because we have continued (spearheaded) a movement that has been going on for centuries. Continue with your exploration and enjoy being part of something that started years ago and will go on. Remember "Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy". Quoted by Ben Franklin (I'm pretty sure we make better beer than he did :D )
Prost to "Home Brewing"
My problem is these styles are in the 2015 guidelines. 27B and E to be precise. The State Fair is still using the obsolete version, the 2008, under which the only place for these two beers is specials. I don't know that I particularly agree with the explosion of styles in the 2015 guide but the BJCP has published them, I'd like to compete in the category best for the beers.

I am proud to be a part of the group pushing new styles and resurrecting old ones. I'd personally like to see fewer styles, case in point, there's not a lot of difference between my Ky Common and an Altbier but the styles are there, despite my grousing, and I want to use them.

/* end rant */

Back