New Robobrew user - mash question for Mild Ale

Scenicruiser

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'll be ordering a Robobrew next week - yay! The first recipe I want to make is here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/mild-mannered-ale-ag-e-uk-us.52776/

Could someone help me decipher the mash process? It looks like the recipe was pasted in from Beersmith and I can't make heads or tails out of it.

I have scaled the recipe down to my volume here:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/674686/mild-mannered-ale
It says mash at 70c for 60 minutes. That mash temp seems high though, I would have thought 68c would be high enough. You'll have to use the mash and sparge water volumes to suit your system.

70 will still give you the gravity before the enzymes denature (just did two batches at 70 this weekend). Though don't know that it will be that different to 68, so either would work. Based on the few milds I've had, a high mash temp makes sense. So a relatively unfermentable wort with that extra mouthfeel and possibly some sweetness depending on your grains. And when I say relatively unfermentable it's not going to be massively different (and may not even be noticeable unless you're looking for it).

And this is probably something you already now, but just in case...

You can think of the Robobrew (and Grainfather, Braumeister, etc) as BIAB with a sparge step when it comes to mashing. So you put in the full volume minus for the amount you leave aside for the sparge. It'll use the pump to recirculate your mash water to give you decent efficiency and keep the termperature constant. Once you've hit your mash time you pull the grains up, let them drip, then use the sparge water water to rinse the sugars out.

So for converting three vessel mash recipes, just get the temperature steps they use and ignore the water volumes, grist ratios, etc.. Work out the full water volume for your recipe (quick water requirements in the recipe tools). Then you put the full volume minus the sparge water in the Robobrew and move it through the temperature steps. Then use the sparge water after the mash is finished to rinse the grains. I imagine there's robobrew recipes out there that'll tell you how much sparge water they generally use.

Back