HandiBrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
First of all, wanted to mention this is my first post on the forum here. I've used this website before for recipes and ideas but just today created my account.

Second of all, I have a question that I'm hoping can be answered here. Tomorrow I'll be brewing up a Citrus Blonde recipe I found here. I'm somewhat new to all grain (this will be my second batch) and new to using additives besides Irish moss and sugar, so I'm curious about the lemon and orange zest and peel. From the looks of it, all the additives are put in for the full 60 minute boil. Once I'm done with the boil and I go to transfer to my fermenter do I strain out the peel/zest or do I leave it in during the fermentation process? Will it make much of a difference, or has most of the flavor and bitterness been added from the 60 minute boil?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You want to strain as much stuff as possible out of the beer. I've heard that the gunk in the fermentor can contribute to off flavors but haven't experienced it. Yes, that includes your spices. What I generally do with things like orange peel and spices is either add them to the whirlpool, the beer when you've just turned the heat off, or I make a tea and add the tea to secondary.

Good luck with the beer and welcome.

Back