New Homebrewer

Black Clover

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy everyone!
As the title says, I am new to homebrewing personally, though I have helped my dad in the past when he homebrewed. I am currently a college student about to graduate, so my living arrangements (and lack of disposable income) have prevented me from diving into this exciting hobby hands-on. So in the meantime, I have been spending time reading and educating myself about homebrewing as a way to prepare for when I do start. I currently intern at a local brewery and maintain their database, but when I can, I help out in the brewhouse and learn from the headbrewer there. I've been using Brewer's Friend as a way to create some recipes and familiarize myself with ingredients and beer styles, so for the most part, my recipes work on paper, but it is to be determined if they work in practice.

I hope to eventually start and share my experiences with you all once I'm settled down with a job and a place of my own.

If you have any recommendations as to what I should read and learn more of, please feel free to share as I want to continue to learn and understand the hobby. I know experience is the best teacher, but that will be the next step of this journey.

Best,
Black Clover

Last edited:
Welcome!
Sounds like you will start your first steps in this hobby with tons more knowledge than me :D
Maybe look at biab brewing and you can do small batches with very little equipment.
Just a pot and a stove, and your ingredients, a brew-bag, bucket fermenter and some pet bottles is all you need to get going.
OK and a thermometer

Welcome!
Sounds like you will start your first steps in this hobby with tons more knowledge than me :D
Maybe look at biab brewing and you can do small batches with very little equipment.
Just a pot and a stove, and your ingredients, a brew-bag, bucket fermenter and some pet bottles is all you need to get going.
OK and a thermometer
I've been looking at some BIAB equipment because more than likely I will be living in an apartment post-graduation so a smaller format is a good way to go.

Congrats on graduating. That is a big deal.
John Palmer's How to Brew is a great book for beginners. I just saw it on Amazon if you can't find it in a book store.
Listen to what the guys/girls in the brewery tell you. Before long, the light will go on about the process. At the homebrew level, it will be a little different because you won't have all the toys.
I often visit a brewery where the tap room manager just designed her first recipe, and it was fantastic, especially for her first try. Some of the other places in town have the employees designing recipes with the brewers so they understand a little more about beer. If they offer to do that, go for it.
BIAB is about the easiest way to go all grain. I use it, and like it. The only issue I have is that it isn't very efficient, but I have the software adjusted for that. Make sure you have a big enough kettle for full volume boils (like the volume you want to brew x 3), and no, I am not joking. If brewing inside, make sure you have the ventilation, or you place will smell like a brewery for 1/2 of a week.

Congrats on graduating. That is a big deal.
John Palmer's How to Brew is a great book for beginners. I just saw it on Amazon if you can't find it in a book store.
Listen to what the guys/girls in the brewery tell you. Before long, the light will go on about the process. At the homebrew level, it will be a little different because you won't have all the toys.
I often visit a brewery where the tap room manager just designed her first recipe, and it was fantastic, especially for her first try. Some of the other places in town have the employees designing recipes with the brewers so they understand a little more about beer. If they offer to do that, go for it.
Funny enough, I did actually purchase that book not too long ago, so I am glad that I am on the right track in that department. I have thought about asking the head brewer if we can do a small pilot batch of a recipe I created recently (a Blood Orange American Wheat Beer) that he actually showed some interest in when I mentioned the recipe to him. I will be at the brewery this Friday, so I will bring the topic up to him.

Funny enough, I did actually purchase that book not too long ago, so I am glad that I am on the right track in that department. I have thought about asking the head brewer if we can do a small pilot batch of a recipe I created recently (a Blood Orange American Wheat Beer) that he actually showed some interest in when I mentioned the recipe to him. I will be at the brewery this Friday, so I will bring the topic up to him.
They have something like that at the Persimmon Hollow brewery here. It is a tasty, light beer.

Definitely. And bring a copy of the recipe!

A college degree is nothing trivial, so congratulations almost) on that. The biggest thing you learned is... how to learn. You're on the right track alright, can't wait to hear how your first beer turns out!

Definitely. And bring a copy of the recipe!

A college degree is nothing trivial, so congratulations almost) on that. The biggest thing you learned is... how to learn. You're on the right track alright, can't wait to hear how your first beer turns out!
Thank you! These past 5 years in college have been an adventure, but I can't wait to start the next.

I will definitely be posting here when I am making my first batch of beer.

Thinking out loud..I wonder how that wheat beer would be with a hazy yeast like a WLP067? I know it gives a nice, orangy flavor around 70 degrees.

Thinking out loud..I wonder how that wheat beer would be with a hazy yeast like a WLP067? I know it gives a nice, orangy flavor around 70 degrees.
That is the beauty of this hobby, experimentation. I will write that idea down for a future test, maybe doing a split batch and try two different yeasts.

Oooh, Oooh, a Wheat PA. Hmmmmm.

That is the beauty of this hobby, experimentation. I will write that idea down for a future test, maybe doing a split batch and try two different yeasts.
I was in Asheville last year, and that is what White Labs does in their tap room. The 4-Packs are 2 each with a different yeast (same recipe), and they offer flights like that too. It is a cool place.

Welcome. I also echo that it is possible to make some great beers with a minimalist set up - I have only ever used extract kits but even some of the budget ones this side of the pond are quite good. I don't think anybody mentioned a hydrometer yet. Wow, if I had could have my time again it would take something to beat starting out working in a brewery :cool: Good luck with your ideas, sounding very interesting. Congratz on your qualification too.

Welcome. I also echo that it is possible to make some great beers with a minimalist set up - I have only ever used extract kits but even some of the budget ones this side of the pond are quite good. I don't think anybody mentioned a hydrometer yet. Wow, if I had could have my time again it would take something to beat starting out working in a brewery :cool: Good luck with your ideas, sounding very interesting. Congratz on your qualification too.
It has been a lot of fun there, but currently I am applying for a job at New Belgium as an analyst. Currently my application is in review so wish me luck!

Good luck. Are you staying out that way or trying to get into the Asheville location? I know Asheville is a hell of a brew town, and I bet it is the same in Colorado too.
I've been to Asheville a couple of times over the past few years, and I love the place. I might also need to take a trip out to Colorado at some point in time.

Back