New guy from St Paul

The Gonz

Trial Member
Reaction score
Good evening all!

New guy here, finally getting with the times and jumping on a forum/brewing site. I started brewing back in the late 90's and enjoyed the hobby off/on over the years. Was never crazy serious about it, although I do have bragging rights of several county fair blue ribbons :D. Got busy with life and such and haven't brewed in probably 4 years now, finally decided to jump back into it. My partner and I love visiting breweries and enjoy beer, she even created a spreadsheet listing all MN and WI tap rooms that we know of and whether or not we've been there. We have a fantasy of opening our own brewery/tap room some day, although the reality of that is to be determined.

I'm very excited about upping my game with brewing, from what I gather the technology and equipment has come a long ways from where I used to be. What's even better is I live less than a mile from Northern Brewer in St Paul, so I have the brewing world at my door!

Just jumped back into the game with a Coconut Milkshake IPA, which will be my first wild card beer I've ever brewed, I always just stuck to the classics in the past. It's busy bubbling away as I type!

Thanks to all the contributors and regulars, I already appreciate your wisdom.

ps - is there a tutorial on how to follow along with others' recipes? Such as how to decipher boil time, when we're adding things, etc.? I'd rather not reinvent the wheel as I start searching for our next beer and using one of the recipes on here.

Welcome to the forum! When I copy someone else's recipe I always edit the recipe and scale to my batch size and my efficiency. Then I substitute ingredients to what I can get from Northern Brewer. Other than that I leave the recipe as-is.

Welcome!
Have a look at the quarterly brew.
It's where some of us brew the same beer, discuss alternative ingredients etc to make it fit the ingredients you can get and your equipment

Welcome to the forum, and back to brewing!

I'm not sure of your question. I think all the info is in each recipe. I, too, re-do each recipe to fit my equipment profile (picked from the list, then tweaked) and available ingredients.

If that's not helpful, send a screen shot.

s there a tutorial on how to follow along with others' recipes? Such as how to decipher boil time, when we're adding things, etc.? I'd rather not reinvent the wheel as I start searching for our next beer and using one of the recipes on here.

There's nothing to decipher. Boil for an hour and add hops as the recipe calls for...usually x ounces at the start of the wort boil and y ounces at 15 minutes before flame out is a pretty common schedule for your typical 5 Gallon batch. What may take shorter or longer given your equipment and batch size is how long it takes to get to a boil!

I hope that's what you mean and welcome to the clubhouse!

Welcome Gonz, you are already on your way with that question.

There's nothing to decipher. Boil for an hour and add hops as the recipe calls for...usually x ounces at the start of the wort boil and y ounces at 15 minutes before flame out is a pretty common schedule for your typical 5 Gallon batch. What may take shorter or longer given your equipment and batch size is how long it takes to get to a boil!

I hope that's what you mean and welcome to the clubhouse!
Well I for one appreciate how you have expressed that so succinctly. Tables and charts can be a bit daunting. Helps for if and when I progress to brewing from dry grain. I have some such recipes in an old book which call for generally shorter boils. But I will leave that for a more appropriate time (if ever) rather than digress off on such a distracting tangent here especially as I don't quite trust that publication as much now that I have seen the general methodology producing results on BF.

Welcome back to brewing and the forum

Back