New brewer with questions :)

Several years ago I treated myself to a digital refractometer. It was pricey, but that’s what we do in this hobby. Easy to calibrate and read. Measures accurately to the 10th of a gravity point.
These are actually pretty good as long as you calibrate them and take care of them!

First...welcome!
Second...RDWHAHB...frustration is over rated!
Third...hold the hydrometer from the top, thumb and fore finger while in the filled cylinder then spin it like a top...come back in a minute and take a reading.
if you have the coin, it is worth it to get one that has a temp calibration as well.

If you are using it during fermentation, you need to break the CO2 out of solution or it will stick to the hydrometer and cause it to "float" and throw a higher reading.

you also need to adjust the refractometer based on temperature. Easiest way is to take the sample and then let it sit and cool and use your ambient temp and online calculators. also gotta be careful of what scale they use when you buy one. I think you can get them with SG on them as well as brix, sadly no one makes one for plato(that i have found yet). Also try to get one that has a smaller range because it will be more accurate and easier to read. Mine goes from 0-18 Brix i think.

They make unbreakable Hydrometers, but they are pricey and dont have temp calibration like the glass ones do.

For me temp calibration is pretty important, but this is not really a hobby for me... temp can make a pretty big difference in the actual reading.

These are the type that I have always used in commercial settings. Pricey, but accurate. I keep a 0-8, 8-16, and 16-24 plato set on hand.
https://www.amazon.com/SafetyBlue-ThermoHydrometer-Thermometer-Traceable-Certificate/dp/B00YYMG5EU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=31K11458WFWMU&keywords=hydrometer+plato&qid=1698428606&sprefix=hydrometer+plato,aps,116&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

This is the Refract that I currently have(in a different scale). It is good, but i rarely use a refract.
https://www.amazon.com/Refractometer(Teflon-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation-Refractometer/dp/B07BN9RGGK/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?crid=1RD2BNYIZSTOW&keywords=hydrometer+plato+plastic&qid=1698428741&sprefix=hydrometer+plato+plastic,aps,117&sr=8-22-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGY&psc=1

Shatterproof hydrometer, but not temp calibrating. This one is pricey but maybe its cheaper if you end up breaking them every time you use them!
https://www.coleparmer.com/i/cole-p...414JnzPCjSXmqizDFVy1Gc_U04eJ4YYRoCvMQQAvD_BwE
Refractometer doesn't really need much in the way of temp cal. You put 2 drops on it. It is room temp 5 seconds

Refractometer doesn't really need much in the way of temp cal. You put 2 drops on it. It is room temp 5 seconds
For sure. I just dunk mine into the kettle because I'm lazy so it takes a min or two for it cool down to room temp. I'm also converting from brix to plato.

I very rarely use a refract. My hydrometers are far more accurate.

if you have the coin, it is worth it to get one that has a temp calibration as well.
What @Minbari said...no!

Refracts are good for brew day but not too much afterwards. Like money, Alcohol changes everything!

Them little Anton Par refractometers look a GO if I were PRO that's where I'd go.

If I were me an amature HBer I'm happy with refractometer and then double checking with hydrometer at its calibration temp 20c usually if I'm really stressing about it.

Kegs allow for plenty wriggle room compared to bottling or Commercial Canning lines with long term beer shelf storage diastaticus potential issues.

I've never bottled my beer then left it in my hot shed for a couple of months I'm for sure gunna get bottle bombs.

I've got the luxury of storing my packaged beer cold and in a keg ;)

Back