New Brewer in TN

Hello! My name is Noah everyone. I just started brewing a few months ago from an amber ale extract kit I got, and I just moved my way up to all grain. Cheers!
Welcome Noah! What kind of beers are your favorites? And I presume what you brew comes out good, right?

Welcome Noah
What beers have you made so far?
And what sort of set up are you using?

Welcome to Brewer's Friend Noah.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate. Lots of helpful people here

I did as well :)
Main reason being that it was difficult enough to find malted grain, let alone extract.
I have yet to try an extract brew
Lol, me too. I still have a bag of dme from 5 years ago that i used to use for starters.
Never have brewed with LME or DME

Welcome Noah!
I did one extract kit then jumped right into all grain BIAB myself

Long time no see! So, the only extract did was the Block Paty Amber Ale extract kit from Northern Brewer. I was hesitant to go to all grain, (BIAB as of now) but I felt like extract brewing was not letting me get a professionalism aspect of brewing which is something I am striving for.

I decided to try out a SMASH pale ale for my 1st biab beer, and I have a post about how it didn't go as planned (boiled off too much water, high as hell ABV and IBUs). It turns out my kettle from Northern Brewer that came with the kit was supposed to be a 5 gallon kettle, but it is a 4 gallon. This skewed my measurements off on that first batch, so I adjusted it for my second time and had to opt for a smaller batch sadly. My second time around, I got a really low ABV because I used a little too much water. I'm hoping to get a new brew kettle this week (10 gallon from Anvil brewing; has gallon measurements on the inside which will make knowing my boil off quite a bit easier) so I can atually make something above a 1 gallon batch size.

As far as styles I like to just drink? Anything really. I work at a brewery so I get to try new stuff all the time, and I am only 23 so I haven't had much time in this craft brew thing at all haha. Here lately though, I have really enjoyed porters and lagers. I can always go for a nice west coast or NEIPA too though. I just feel like they're praised a bit too high personally.

Cheers!

A quick easy fix for under or over volume is to add water if needed to dilute, or add more DME to bring the gravity up (alternatively boil longer, but that may increase your bitterness too).
What yeast are you using?
FYI, temperature control during fermentation is very important.
The wort will be a few degrees warmer than your ambient temperature.
Fermenting above a yeasts upper limit will lead to unwanted off flavors.
If you don't have temperature control consider using a Kveik strain, they like it warm...
Also, I would recommend using water that is NOT chlorinated.

A quick easy fix for under or over volume is to add water if needed to dilute, or add more DME to bring the gravity up (alternatively boil longer, but that may increase your bitterness too).
What yeast are you using?
FYI, temperature control during fermentation is very important.
The wort will be a few degrees warmer than your ambient temperature.
Fermenting above a yeasts upper limit will lead to unwanted off flavors.
If you don't have temperature control consider using a Kveik strain, they like it warm...
Also, I would recommend using water that is NOT chlorinated.
This is why i always err on the side of too little water in boil. Easy to add more later

I did as well :)
Main reason being that it was difficult enough to find malted grain, let alone extract.
I have yet to try an extract brew
You weren't missing much. My extract beers were ok considering, I like my grain beers.

A bit late to the party, but welcome Noah! Whereabouts in TN are you? I'm just outside of Nashville myself.

Back