New Brewer from Brisbane, Australia need's help!

Hendrix

Trial Member
Reaction score
Helloo Brewers!

I discovered accidentally brewing for myself last week from youtube. Currently, I'm buying equipment from E-Bay and I have reached a point, where I don't know which system should be best for me.

I will explain my situation shortly:

I live in an apartment, where I have a gas cooker, I don't have any extra space to store some big equipment and I'm thinking of microbrewing around 4-8 litres maximum. Note that it's going to be summer and I need probably an external system to cool down fermentation. I definitely don't want to mess with any bottles.

Most likely I will start brewing with malt extract and move on ASAP to a brew bag.

My main goal is to discover new recipes and try to push the limits in quality as fast as it's possible with small amounts. (forced fermentation etc.)

So far I have discovered options for micro kegging. Here comes my question for you guys, is it the best option and what sort of extra equipment I have to consider?
Speaking about micro keg systems I have noted that they have really small CO2 options available. Maybe there are some alternative systems or complete guides available for my situation?

Guys help me out that I can make the right decision!

Hendrix

Hendrix,
As a new brewer to BIAB and all grain why not start with a small system.

You could buy a couple of small 5 litre kegs from Ikegger or similar, match them with a small 2.6 gas bottle.

You could buy small boiler with a BIAB and do small partials. Do a 1/2 brew (10 litres) and split them into the two 5 litre minikegs and carb them with the 2.6.

So you've probably got all you need right there in your apartment to brew mini batches. If I were to go through the equipment buy again and had a tight brew space I'd go the Robobrew. For about $450 I think they are a complete brewing system not sure if that includes a chilling option check it out see what you think.
Kegging wise I'm sure the 19lt kegs are cheaper than the half size ones you can always fill em half way and you have the option for a 19lt batch if ya need. Have a look around on gumtree for hombrew set ups for sale. Watch eBay sometimes their dodgey.

Welcome anyhow:).

Welcome Hendrix. I don't have experience with the batch sizes you are considering. But I'm brewing 5 gal batches into corny kegs which is way easier than bottling (IMO). The suggestions above seem really good for you.

G'day;):)
I do small 5/10 litre batches,biab,extracts and partial mashes all on my stove top.I mainly bottle,in winter i put 10 litres into a pressure barrel as i can leave it in a spare room with the heating right down to keep it cool.
Have been given some empty 5 litre mini kegs which i intend to try out.If all goes well i will invest in a Klarstien,around £150.00 sterling.It is a cooler dispenser all in one for the mini kegs and can be gassed up with C02 if needed.Supposed to be able to keep the kegs going for weeks if needed:cool:

Back