Never used liquid yeast

Honestly my only real reason is I try to brew to style ingredient wise and there is limit to the dry yeasts I find. There are few other dry yeast for british beers I should try first. I pitch slurry after one brew anyway so I’m ok with how to keep slurry to use. The brewing stuff is a big world and just wondering if it’s time for a vacation to explore some yeast :)

Honestly my only real reason is I try to brew to style ingredient wise and there is limit to the dry yeasts I find. There are few other dry yeast for british beers I should try first. I pitch slurry after one brew anyway so I’m ok with how to keep slurry to use. The brewing stuff is a big world and just wondering if it’s time for a vacation to explore some yeast :)
Yes

Are any of you Kveik users treating it with lesser degree of sanitation given some of the accounts you may have read as to how the stuff gets treated by the Norwegian old timers; hanging a yeast ring in the barn, using wood ash as a drying medium and the stuff still works great?

I started all-grain brewing in the early 90's and used exclusively liquid yeast. Then beginning in 2001 I took a brewing hiatus and only returned to brewing in 2016, and since 2016 I have used 'almost' exclusively dry yeasts. I have to say 'almost' because I have used liquid yeast exactly one time since 2016.

Are any of you Kveik users treating it with lesser degree of sanitation given some of the accounts you may have read as to how the stuff gets treated by the Norwegian old timers; hanging a yeast ring in the barn, using wood ash as a drying medium and the stuff still works great?
I haven’t used any since summer but I treated like my other yeasts, other than underpitching and keeping hot during fermentation. Interesting question. @Trialben ?

Josh, for dry yeast I would just over pitch on small batches. Maybe it’s time to move to 5 gallon batches. :)Exploring liquid yeast and all the variations is a good experience. Eventually requiring a stir plate for growing starters and banking yeast in jars in the fridge.

Like others I recently went back to dry yeast (Chico or English mostly). I find it starts out much slower than liquid. Maybe cuz it is spending the first day or two multiplying. IDK

Except for using harvested slurry, all of the yeast I have purchased has been dry. So my slurries have all come from dry yeast. I like the low cost and simplicity of using dry yeast. Maybe in 2021, I might continue to expand my horizons and try liquid yeast (purchased, not harvested).

I use a lot of Wyeast because it's what I can get locally, but Escarpment out of Ontario does some good work. I have been leaning more to dry yeasts lately too though.

May just start off with these two (dry) that ought to keep me comfortable a little longer.
F6FFB118-9990-4B4B-98AD-6A903C434255.jpeg
D721643B-FA96-4754-9C87-4C05AA03F406.jpeg

May just start off with these two (dry) that ought to keep me comfortable a little longer. View attachment 13346View attachment 13347
I’ve never used the London, but I really like Windsor. I love it in a Porter, but it would be great for any British style. Quick start and finish, leaves a nice body without being sweet. Poor attenuator (doesn’t eat the maltotriose) so I would set a custom attenuation to 65% or so in the recipe. And depending on your OG, don’t sweat it if it finishes above 1.020.

Good luck with them.

I would replace the London with the new Lallemand Verdant for a bit more pronounced ester profile. And I might even replace the Windsor with a second round of Verdant. Verdant is being touted (albeit not by Lallemand mind you) as a close knockoff of Wyeast 1318.

Last edited:
I would replace the London with the new Lallemand Verdant for a bit more pronounced ester profile. And I might even replace the Windsor with a second round of Verdant. Verdant is being touted (albeit not by Lallemand mind you) as a close knockoff of Wyeast 1318.
That’s the Boddingtons yeast? I’ll look that up too. The London is supposed to be the Fullers yeast?

Well crap lol. Now I have another yeast to buy after reading.

That’s the Boddingtons yeast? I’ll look that up too. The London is supposed to be the Fullers yeast?

Lallemand London is not the Fullers yeast strain. It is actually very close in genetic profile to Windsor, S-33, and Munton's. Fuller's yeast has a far different genetic makeup. I'd call the London dry yeast a less estery Windsor.

See the genetic tree here:

http://beer.suregork.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Brewing_yeast_tree_Oct_2019.pdf

Look for London, Windsor, S-33, and Muntons under 'Mixed Origin'. Look for the Fullers strain (WLP002) under 'Beer-1', right between USA and UK, but oddly on the USA side. 1318 is at the tail end of the tree. Verdant hasn't made it to the tree yet, partly (at least) because the tree came out in 2019 and Verdant dates (to my knowledge) to 2020.

Last edited:
Lallemand London is not the Fullers yeast strain. It is actually very close in genetic profile to Windsor, S-33, and Munton's. Fuller's yeast has a far different genetic makeup. I'd call the London dry yeast a less estery Windsor.

See the genetic tree here:

http://beer.suregork.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Brewing_yeast_tree_Oct_2019.pdf

Look for London, Windsor, S-33, and Muntons under 'Mixed Origin'. Look for the Fullers strain under 'Beer-1, right between USA and UK, but oddly on the USA side.
Cool thanks

NEIPA is not something I’d made more than likely....read that it’s good for bitters and Scottish shilling beers?

Back