*never* ending fermentation

Wow, it has been almost 4 months already...
Figured I would do some necroposting and give everyone an update.

I am currently drinking my first 2 brews fermented with US-05, and just bottled my 3rd.
I am very impressed with the yeast! It is producing much much cleaner tasting IPAs than the WLP007.
I am also getting no off flavors, so I thankfully don't seem to have an infection in my gear. :mrgreen:

What I find interesting though, is that I am still getting a very high attenuation (86%+). I ferment for a bit over 2 weeks at 15°C, then bump up the temp to 21°C for a couple of days to finish up fermentation while dry-hopping. The FG is consistently 1.9° and the beer tastes great, so it is all good. :D

Thanks to all for the tip to use US-05!

Wait till you use it 2nd through 4th generation!
Then you'll really like it. :mrgreen:
Brian

Cool! The brew I just bottled is 2nd generation. :D

I'm still betting on some weird bug in there eating up residual sugars not fermentable by Saccaromyces. Something that can eat dextrines would continue the fermentation past predicted FG, would thin out the "mouthfeel", would enhance bitterness through eliminating residual sweetness and perhaps result in that vegetal flavor you mentioned. The other explanation is that had you fermented your beer through before bottling, you'd have gotten these flavors, that the "good" flavor you were getting earlier was due to the residual sugars and the beer was destined for bitterness. Carbon dioxide suppresses fermentation so may have slowed the finishing process down once pressure started accumulating in the bottles.

Moral: Let your beer ferment through before bottling. Reinheitsgebot be damned, a bit of corn sugar contamination beats bottle bombs any day.

Nosybear said:
I'm still betting on some weird bug in there eating up residual sugars not fermentable by Saccaromyces. Something that can eat dextrines would continue the fermentation past predicted FG, would thin out the "mouthfeel", would enhance bitterness through eliminating residual sweetness and perhaps result in that vegetal flavor you mentioned. The other explanation is that had you fermented your beer through before bottling, you'd have gotten these flavors, that the "good" flavor you were getting earlier was due to the residual sugars and the beer was destined for bitterness. Carbon dioxide suppresses fermentation so may have slowed the finishing process down once pressure started accumulating in the bottles.

Moral: Let your beer ferment through before bottling. Reinheitsgebot be damned, a bit of corn sugar contamination beats bottle bombs any day.
Since moving to us-05, I am able to ferment to completion in 3 weeks. I do in fact now (again) add priming sugar to the bottles.

The Brew Mentor said:
Wait till you use it 2nd through 4th generation!
Then you'll really like it. :mrgreen:
Brian

8th and 9th are pretty sweet also :)

Back