need translation of hydrometer readings

Nberry

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have just put my latest brew into the keg and I need someone to tell how me how to translate the attached photos. The readings are as follows if I am reading this correctly:

O.G. 1.074

F.G. final reading 1.006

The taste is good and in a week I should be able to enjoy it. I seem to have a issue trying to read the scales as it pertains to ABV and Brix. I used my refractometer and got a brix reading of 7 which equates to a 1.026 SG reading. I am pretty sure something is incorrect with the way I am translating these results. Some insights would be helpful.

Attachments

• F.G. 1006.jpg
    F.G. 1006.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 69
I have just put my latest brew into the keg and I need someone to tell how me how to translate the attached photos. The readings are as follows if I am reading this correctly:

O.G. 1.074

F.G. final reading 1.006

The taste is good and in a week I should be able to enjoy it. I seem to have a issue trying to read the scales as it pertains to ABV and Brix. I used my refractometer and got a brix reading of 7 which equates to a 1.026 SG reading. I am pretty sure something is incorrect with the way I am translating these results. Some insights would be helpful.

Well the hydrometer reading is 1006.
That's a happy healthy fermentation from a OG of 1.076.:)
You can put the OG and FG in the calculator on this site in tools and it'll tell you the ABV.

The Brew log will also automatically do this for you BTW.

As for your refractometer I've only just got one so I'm no good there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220614-202213_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614-202213_Samsung Internet.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
The refractometer will give wonky readings if there's alcohol in the mix. Although it can be used after fermentation in general you need a correction factor.

The picture could be 006 or 008, I'm not totally sure. You always read at the bottom of the meniscus which is the little ramp of liquid that climbs up the glass slightly, not at the top.

I think 7 with alcohol present is .001 fg in the calculator. Are you sure the og is correct at .076?

Just checked the calculator and looks like 1.002
What was the temperature of your sample?
I would go for the hydrometer reading, but do another one in a couple of days to see if the beer has finished.
FG from any programm is an expected figure. In reality it can be higher or lower.

Just checked the calculator and looks like 1.002
What was the temperature of your sample?
I would go for the hydrometer reading, but do another one in a couple of days to see if the beer has finished.
FG from any programm is an expected figure. In reality it can be higher or lower.

The temp was 70 degrees when I pulled it.

I think 7 with alcohol present is .001 fg in the calculator. Are you sure the og is correct at .076?
That is the figure it came out with. I am still learning how all of this fits together.

The refractometer will give wonky readings if there's alcohol in the mix. Although it can be used after fermentation in general you need a correction factor.

The picture could be 006 or 008, I'm not totally sure. You always read at the bottom of the meniscus which is the little ramp of liquid that climbs up the glass slightly, not at the top.
Thanks. My eyesight sucks and it really hard to read the hydrometer when its in the liquid.

The temp was 70 degrees when I pulled it.
No temperature correction necessary (unless your hydrometer is calibrated at 15 oC (59 oF) but that's not so common)

As I read it, your hydrometer measurement is 1.008 (as @Donoroto said, you read the bottom of the meniscus, not the top). Your hydrometer has a temperature setting, either 68F or 60F, so your measurement at 70F will be adjusted slightly based on your device’s setting.

Back