Need tips on controlling wort temp

Mad Chemist

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for tips on how to keep my wort temp down. At room temp it usually sits at about 75° to 78°. Not sure what to do about it except close up the house and crank up the AC.

Suggestions?

well mine sit at about 62 to 66 but when I get a hot fermentation going I'll set the fermenter in some water.one to two inches , to start with. If that dose not do it I'll put a fan on it ,low speed. I'm lucky because I think its easier to heat them up then to cool them off. good luck.

I tried the swamp-cooler idea, but at 30+C in the summer quickly gave up. Ended up buying a small used refrigerator (w/o freezer) for 20 bucks off Ebay. (turns out, the seller was the next door neighbor... :lol: )
Built in a thermostat with probe and haven't any trouble keeping my wort at any given stable temperature since.

Before i built a chamber, i would soak a towel in water and wrap it around the fermentor. Seemed to keep it about 6 degrees cooler. Add a fan to that and i could probably cool it more.

put your carboy in a plastic tub of water and use frozen bottles of water to cool the water, the wart will equalize with the water temp

I built this box for last summer when temperatures in my shop got close to 80. The fan is thermostatically controlled. I am now using it with a small heater to keep my bottles conditioning at 72 when the shop is now at a constant 60.

Attachments

• 38 DD Fermentation Chamber.jpg
    38 DD Fermentation Chamber.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 882
That's the best use for some leftover construction materiel I've ever seen.

That is awesome DanC. If I'm not mistaken that looks like commercial grade rigid insulation used on the outside of new construction. You must have one huge lunchbox!

Hey, it worked for Johnny Cash. He got a caddy out of it.

Back