Mystery Beer

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Spent the day at my Mother's house today.
She handed me an unlabeled beer, nothing even marked on the cap, said I gave it to her and told her to let it sit in a dark place for few weeks. In never made the fridge. She had no idea when I gave her this beer, just said she's had it a while and found it, so thought she'd give it to me. She has no intention of drinking it. I have no idea when I gave her this beer, and with no marking of any kind on the bottle, I have no idea what it is.
So, now it is chilling and soon I'll open it and solve the mystery. The suspense is killing me.

That's a fantastic idea to hold onto a beer I want to age a bit. It might be useful to label what it is; unless I want a mystery like you have. :D

Although beer from home brew bottles can leak oxygen slowly into the bottle if left too long, the plastic liner starts to break down under the bottle cap

Pretty sure it was from my 7th or 8th batch of beer last spring. I made two batches back-to-back attempting to replicate a "cream lager" that was popular with some co-workers at a brew pub we frequented at one time. So it had been sitting for a year. It wasn't oxidated or skunky or stale tasing at all. It was very clear and pretty tasty, albiet much too sweet. Both of those beers were very low IBU and had a heavy dose of flaked corn in the steeping grains (extract brew). The yeast used was not lager yeast, it was WL Cream Ale. I don't plan to attempt an more "lagers" until I am set up to do it with lager yeast at the correct temps. But, it was interesting to taste it and try to figure out what it was... and find out that it sat for about a year and didn't go bad.

Just a thought. long storage at room temps can bring on some sweetness that wasn't in the fresh beer. I think it is still part of the oxidizing process, but separate from the "cardboard" taste.

Back