Mysterious Off Flavor

I think it is important that the algae is removed from your source of water, no doubt. If it did cause the problem the phenols would have to be present in the water and propagate through the mash, into the boil and into the fermenter. I would assume a large dose would come from the small section of hose that had the phenols, the rest of the water coming through would have a much lower dose or maybe none at all. The ratio between the total amount of water and the amount of water in the hose would be fairly small.

When I first started brewing I had the same problem (it made the beer undrinkable) and like you I wasn't sure what it was or where it came from. I mostly used English strains at the time. I determined it was a fermentation problem stemming from too low of a pitch and not enough aeration. Once I upped the pitches and used oxygen the problem went away. Later however, I brewed a Helles and a very faint flavor of phenol made it through. So faint that most judges missed it, but it made the beer less enjoyable for sure. That problem, I believe, was because I raised the fermentation temperature from 48F to @ 72F in one day. I have never done that since and I have not had that problem since. Both times the source was in the fermentation.

Most yeast don't produce much phenols, except wheat, Belgian and to a lesser extent, English strains. Although I do think you may have found a problem, it may rear up again. If it does, look into the fermentation. If it doesn't, you found your source. Troubleshooting can be a frustrating and long drawn out process.

By the way, thank you for bringing this up. It's a very interesting subject, at least to me anyway.

Thanks HVM. It has been quite the journey. I have learned a lot about off flavors. Without going into all the details, one thing I had to question was my use of Wyeast 1272. I have since switched back to Chico (W1056, IA07). The algae may not have been the only problem. But it has helped me get back to basics. When touring a brewery look at tanks and hoses not in use. They are always open to dry.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming. Cheers

Wow! Who'd a thunk it? With the great water where you are that's the last thing I would have expected. You think the algae is growing in the white hose or later in the system?

I am always surprised at the speed in which things that are even just mildly damp start smelling of mildew up here. Give it more than a little time, and it takes on that typically slimy feeling.

Even the sidewalks get slippery in the winter from growth!

I have to admit I live in tree county, you can’t see the town from a satellite from all the trees which breads algae like a plague, I have it on my deck and the side of my house and the north side of my roof right now, I will remove it in the spring but mother nature is a bitch you know it always returns, needless to say my water is pure we have an award winning biologist that heads our water treatment plant and only the best gets to my house (needless plug) but I'm still a fanatic for good brewing water since it's 99% of beer so spend what every it takes to start your brew day I say, I did and never looked back ;)

Back