My West Coast IPA recipe! Critique and Suggestions!

Interoma

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys! Tomorrow I'm going to brew my first extract beer and this is the recipe I created. It would be great to receive some help and suggestions! What do you think about the hops I used and the quantity/boiling time? Thank you and happy brewing!

IPA

Method: Extract
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 24 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.053 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)
Original Gravity: 1.064 Final Gravity: 1.018 ABV (standard): 6.05% IBU (tinseth): 72.8 SRM (morey): 6.4

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable
2.5 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light
1.5 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Light

4 kg Total

Steeping Grains

Amount Fermentable
0.2 kg German - Carapils
0.5 kg United Kingdom - Crystal

Hops

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
15 g Simcoe Leaf/Whole 12.7 Boil 60 min 21.32
20 g Amarillo Leaf/Whole 8.6 Boil 30 min 14.8
15 g Amarillo Leaf/Whole 8.6 Boil 15 min 7.16
10 g Citra Leaf/Whole 11 Boil 15 min 6.11
20 g Amarillo Leaf/Whole 8.6 Boil 10 min 6.98
10 g Citra Leaf/Whole 11 Boil 10 min 4.46
20 g Amarillo Leaf/Whole 8.6 Boil 5 min 3.84
10 g Citra Leaf/Whole 11 Boil 5 min 2.45
20 g Simcoe Leaf/Whole 12.7 Boil 5 min 5.67
30 g Citra Leaf/Whole 11 Dry Hop 7 days
30 g Simcoe Leaf/Whole 12.7 Dry Hop 7 days

Hops Summary

Amount Variety Type AA
75 g Amarillo Leaf/Whole 8.6
60 g Citra Leaf/Whole 11
65 g Simcoe Leaf/Whole 12.7

Recipe looks good. My concern is your statement that this is your first extract brew. Go ahead and brew your IPA but let me share with you some advice I wish I'd have gotten as a beginning brewer. Do something like this....

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... k-pale-ale

And do it over and over until it tastes the same every time. You'll find in brewing it's not as much the recipe as the process that makes good beer. Mastery of sanitation, of handling ingredients, of providing a good environment for your yeast are far more important than how much Crystal 60 to put in or if 120 is better. Your recipe is heavily hopped and that will cover up any mistakes you may make. The recipe above is specially formulated to give you no room to hide your errors so you can find and correct them. My fond wish is that your IPA is the best beer you've ever tasted and after you've done it, do the hard work of perfecting your process.

Cheers and welcome to the club!

Nosybear said:
Recipe looks good. My concern is your statement that this is your first extract brew. ....

Agree with Nosybear on that one. I'm a "young" brewer here, only about a year and half (+ 6 months of research prior to) and I learned things about my process yesterday that will apply next weekend. Make precise measurements, make observations of everything, takes lots of notes. Drink beer AFTER you're done brewing, not during! :shock:

your hops look great, beer might turn green for a while, don't worry it will fade, good luck

Thanks Guys! A friend suggested I should add some table sugar (0.5 to 1 lbs) to lower the final gravity. What do you think?

the ending gravity can change drastically base on 2 factors, weather you hit your water amounts perfect and the absorption is right on and the yeast performing good or bad, all the sugar does is add more strait food for the yeast to get them working harder, corn sugar is better than table sugar, table sugar has additives in it, with that said, I personally like adding corn sugar to mine to dry the beer out and thin it some so wouldn't hurt :)

Back