my water

I just tested my water with test strips.
They are difficult to read, but the readings I got sort of seem accurate.
But they don't give all required ions: no Ca, Mg concentration etc.
What I got is the following and I wonder if I just should put the quality down as RO water or distilled water?
Fluoride/chromium/chlorine/bromine/nitrite/nitrate: all zero
Cyanuric acid: 30-50 to 100 mg/l
Lead: 0 - 20
copper: 0 - 10
Iron: 5 - 10
Hardness: 0 - 50
Total alkalinity: 0
Free Chlorine: 0
pH: 5.5 - 6.0

Looks to me like no buffering capacity. I have citric acid (and lemons and vinegar ;) ) to lower pH if needs be.
Nothing else, though I can put Calcium Chloride etc on my "to get" list.
Final remark: this is river water and we drink it like is (where else in the world can you still drink riverwater, besides mountain streams)
The pH is low for untreated water, but not out of the question.
I doubt you'll be needing any acid addition.

Correction - Oops, But, if SHE likes HER brew now, brew on. I never was any good at this pronoun thing. Maybe need to have another beer.

Lol...public schools taught me that when the sex is undetermined, the masculine pronoun is correct but who knows what the rules are now other than subjective...unless you are brewing for her....I tell myself that a lot...a whole lot!:D

Hey @Zambezi Special, are there any local breweries near you using the same (or similar) water? You could reach out and ask what they're doing to their water. I've been following Kweza Craft Brewery in Rwanda, they seem to be doing well since opening!

Hey @Zambezi Special, are there any local breweries near you using the same (or similar) water? You could reach out and ask what they're doing to their water. I've been following Kweza Craft Brewery in Rwanda, they seem to be doing well since opening!

Nope...
The big local brewery is in Lusaka and their water is totally different than ours.
High in Mg and Ca. Like real high!
Everything there gets blocked with kettle stone in no time. And everyone drinks bottled water only..
Which reminds me...
I'll take some with me and check it. Just for fun....
There are no big agricultural projects nearby either, so can't get their results. But that's probably why we don't have nitrites and nitrates in the water, so I should be happy about it ;)

Lol...public schools taught me that when the sex is undetermined, the masculine pronoun is correct but who knows what the rules are now other than subjective...unless you are brewing for her....I tell myself that a lot...a whole lot!:D

LOL, the things we do to brew. I tell my bride I'm brewing for her all the time. It works as long as I have her favorite English Brown in the frig.

Back