My first Turn and Burn Brew

CoFlyGuy

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My birthday is at the end of time month. My brother-in-law wanted me to have a beer I brewed for it. He told me he would pay for time ingredients if I brewed it. We brewed Jan 4, 2024. According to my calculations and the description on the recipe I read, I should be able to bottle on the 18th, condition for 1 week and be able to drink. Although with birthday on 29th bottle conditioning will "end" 11 days later.

Not sure what I expect but I like the idea and can only hope it works out. If it doesn't well so be it.

Has anyone else done a turn and Burn style before.

I have in the past. I have 2 fermenter now, so less worry with running out of space

Use kveik and high temps and you'll be there easily :)

I think I'm reading that you are mid fermentation right about now so I think you're past a yeast choice though @Zambezi Special has an excellent suggestion there for next time.....so about all you might be able to do is bump up the fermentation and conditioning temps. There is a chance that that could create some negative off flavors or phenolics so take that as a caution.

Your beer won't be at it's full potential after 11 days of conditioning but, it should still be good. About all you can do is condition the bottles warmer (low-mid 70s °F) to speed up the conditioning.

If you are upper 60s low 70s, It should work. It will taste a hell of a lot better if you give it another week or two.
They are also better if you give them 24 hours to cold crash.

My birthday is at the end of time month. My brother-in-law wanted me to have a beer I brewed for it. He told me he would pay for time ingredients if I brewed it. We brewed Jan 4, 2024. According to my calculations and the description on the recipe I read, I should be able to bottle on the 18th, condition for 1 week and be able to drink. Although with birthday on 29th bottle conditioning will "end" 11 days later.

Not sure what I expect but I like the idea and can only hope it works out. If it doesn't well so be it.

It might be done fermenting sooner than 18 days. Only way to know is a pair if gravity readings that have not changed.

I did a brown with Safale 04 and bottled at day 10 and had a respectable amount of carbonation at day 17. It was drinkable but much better three weeks later, and a whole lot more carbonated. No bottle bombs but I knew I was pushing my luck. (The temp was ~72-76 F during the entire ferment/conditioning)

My advice would be to make sure fermentation is complete with periodic gravity readings before bottling and conditioning.

Under-carbonated beer is not the worst thing that can happen, but your wife's displeasure if bottle bombs occur could ruin the party.

And if your beer is not quite fully bottle conditioned by the birthday party date, that sounds like a good excuse for a second gathering.

One good location to bottle condition beer is the top of your clothes dryer (on a front loading machine). In many older homes, the water heater and furnace were located in the utility room along with the clothes washer and clothes dryer, The extra bit of warmth provided by the water heater and furnace and the vibration of the dryer as it operates also helps to speed up the process.

Never be shy about asking questions or reading about brewing. Learning is easier than finding virgins to sacrifice if the brew turns out bad,

Back