MY first NEIPA

Noshybabs

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am attempting to make a NEIPA but my knowlage is weak which means I probably should follow a tried and tested recipie... I know, but my local brew shop doesn't have the best selection of some things so its a case of making what you can with what you can get.

Hence the malt/hop selection is largely dictated to me. I mean i do have other hops but I think this ia what they have that would suit this style of beer

Could I please get notes on this recipie

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/975720

You are all wonderfull

Noshybabs

Sooo...everyone has their own palette and preference. It looks to be a decent start to a recipe but here is my opinion on a few things:

You could add a little carapils or vienna or similar to emphasize sweet over bitter but that's up to you and probably not necessary for a decent end product.

For a NEIPA: consider moving the 60 minute addition to 30 minutes instead. NEIPA are about the fruity/juicy/junky, not the bitter. If you can add a whirlpool hop addition at flame out or also consider adding a large hop stand addition to your recipe. (About 30 minutes or so of 10 or 15 g of your choice (I love Citra) added after the boil when you cool the wort down to about 170 or so.) You don't have to keep the wort at 170. Just plop in the hops, stir it up nicely, and wait for a half hour then finish cooling to pitch temp.

Also, a lot of folks have been adding a krausen addition of hops. About 3 days into the ferment, when the krausen is just starting to drop, add a hop addition. Folks say the bio- transformation which happens gives a great finished NEIPA...I'm still on the fence for this one but it is common in a NEIPA recipe.

For your water? Do you know your water profile? If you use tap water and it is hard water or has high sulfites you may end up with a harsh bitter brew. If you can't test the water or just have to make do consider using bottled spring water from your local store instead of the tap water.

Anyway. My 2 cents.

Great advice above.
Looks like a pretty straight forward brew great for a new brewer havnt brewed a NEIPA myself but I'm certain as Tony pointed at you don't want any bittering additions you can get away with pushing all the hops into a "hopstand"/whirlpool situation for 10-20mins then either a dry hop at high krausen (bio transformation hop) and then one just as the krausen is dropped off.
Or just add dry hop in one lump after primary fermentation.

Oxygen ingress at transfer is critical to creating a successful Hoppy beer especially a NEIPA.
I purge my receiving keg using the fermentation off gassing hoping this way when it comes to transfer all O2 will have been purged out making them beautiful delicate hop aromas you just tried to infuse into the Wort stick around.

Also there is Sodium Metabisulphate aka Camden tablet crush one of these bad boys up and add like a pinch to beer at packaging.
It will help scrub any oxygen the was introduced post fermentation.

Good luck.
Enjoy the process

I'd add more oats or add some wheat as well as the oats. I'm happy with about 20-30% oats and wheat in a hazy but I know others go up to 40% successfully. If you like a bit of malt flavour then Tony's suggestion above would help with that.

For the hopping it's pretty much what Tony suggested. I'd either add a very small amount of something relatively clean like Magnum or Warrior at the start of the boil (or not add any boil hops at all). And I'd move the Simcoe and Citra additions to flameout and steep for 10-30 minutes.

For cold side I add about 1/3 of the dry hop at day 2 and then remaining 2/3 once fermentation has about a day left. Then crash and package as soon as fermentation is finished.

Thanks for all the feed back. I have moved the additions up and doubled the oats. I havent drank much Neipa so i am largely working from the standard on the site and what I have read, but I'm getting from you guys

less bitter = better

Lets do this!

When I brew my NEIPA I don't put any hops in the boil, I would move all of the boil hops to a whirlpool or steep addition. I add hops at around 180F then whirlpool for as much as 20 minutes. As per above definitely add the dry hops at peak krausen. I also agree with adding some carapils or carafoam to help with head retention.

Back