My Favorite Pub

ACBEV

Trial Member
Reaction score
The Ale House - Reading - Berkshire - UK

I visit 2 or 3 times per week - Lovely Place!

This review is spot-on... and worth a read...
https://shitandnotshitpubsinreading.com/tag/the-alehouse-reading/

The only drinkery on Broad Street (we’re not counting that bloody Artigiano place, alright?), The Alehouse is a welcome little boozy blight on the landscape of town’s main thoroughfare. Formerly known as The Hobgoblin of course, there’s been a pub on the site of this place for 300 years, apparently. But this isn’t bloody Time Team, so bollocks to all this history lark. Let’s see what The Alehouse is all about now, shall we?

When we are away on our fishing holidays in the West Midlands we try and visit a small pub close to one of the fisheries.
It is small,it's tatty outside ,the furniture is tatty,the decor is tatty, however it's a proper english boozer of old.Beer is good,grub is very good and the welcome is fantastic. They treat us as locals and we only go there once a year,brilliant.
Troule over here in the Uk is that so many pubs have shut and continue to do so.Have lost some really good pubs over the years.
Does that happen in the US or Aus?

Pubs in the EU (that's right England, you're out! ;) ) and US are definitely not the same.
There are "pubs" in Germany, but they rarely have the flair of a proper English pub. Instead, Germany has some pretty awesome Biergärten during the summer months. :)
NZ had some pretty decent pubs at times, but one I found particularly cool was sort of a mash-up of a (brew-)pub, biergarten, beach bar (though it wasn't directly on the beach...), the Mussel Inn: http://www.musselinn.co.nz/index.html

PS... the Dux De Lux in Christchurch, NZ was awesome too. Brewpub with Biergarten. Unfortunately the earthquake(s) did a number on it. Not sure what it is like now.

Last edited:
It's not technically a pub, but my home "tasting room" (the Colorado designation for a tap room serving only in-house production and no food) is the Dry Dock in Aurora, CO. Been going there for years, in fact, my wife and I have a designation the staff uses for our tab (I won't share it). We take the grandkids there - they get root beer, of course! And you can order in food. Used to go to Elk Mountain, great place, complete with a playpen for the very youngest craft beer aficionados (and the staff, from time to time). Up in the high country, it's kind of a tie between the Dillon Dam Brewery and the Bakery Brewery, both good places for a pint, food's better at the Dam.... And I have a soft spot for the Palisade Brewery as well.

When we are away on our fishing holidays in the West Midlands we try and visit a small pub close to one of the fisheries.
It is small,it's tatty outside ,the furniture is tatty,the decor is tatty, however it's a proper english boozer of old.Beer is good,grub is very good and the welcome is fantastic. They treat us as locals and we only go there once a year,brilliant.
Troule over here in the Uk is that so many pubs have shut and continue to do so.Have lost some really good pubs over the years.
Does that happen in the US or Aus?
Some old pubs here in Aus we are doing them up (giving them a modern twist) and ruining that old time feel. Like the Glenn inn I visited on the weekend was once a locals pub now it's $30 a head to eat and too posh!

Some old pubs here in Aus we are doing them up (giving them a modern twist) and ruining that old time feel. Like the Glenn inn I visited on the weekend was once a locals pub now it's $30 a head to eat and too posh!
Yup,that is going on all the time here.Rip the guts out of the pub,ultra modernise and turn it into an eatery that happens to sell beer.Having said that there is a chain called 'Wetherspoons' who tend to keep the facade and some interiors but also modernise,sell beers at a decent price along with food at reasonable prices and have tv's but only picture with subtitles ,no sound and no music in the bars.Only downside is that those pubs are very very popular,run mostly by everchanging young staff who basically are not 'proper' bar staff. Nearly always they will ask 'who is next',invariably some clever a##e will shout me and try and jump infront of a few people waiting which really raises my hackles:mad: A good bar person would know who has been waiting and not need to ask.

Yup,that is going on all the time here.Rip the guts out of the pub,ultra modernise and turn it into an eatery that happens to sell beer.Having said that there is a chain called 'Wetherspoons' who tend to keep the facade and some interiors but also modernise,sell beers at a decent price along with food at reasonable prices and have tv's but only picture with subtitles ,no sound and no music in the bars.Only downside is that those pubs are very very popular,run mostly by everchanging young staff who basically are not 'proper' bar staff. Nearly always they will ask 'who is next',invariably some clever a##e will shout me and try and jump infront of a few people waiting which really raises my hackles:mad: A good bar person would know who has been waiting and not need to ask.
That wouldnt be a small reason why you homebrew dont need to line up for beer then:).

Pubs in the EU (that's right England, you're out! ;) ) and US are definitely not the same.
There are "pubs" in Germany, but they rarely have the flair of a proper English pub. Instead, Germany has some pretty awesome Biergärten during the summer months. :)
NZ had some pretty decent pubs at times, but one I found particularly cool was sort of a mash-up of a (brew-)pub, biergarten, beach bar (though it wasn't directly on the beach...), the Mussel Inn: http://www.musselinn.co.nz/index.html

PS... the Dux De Lux in Christchurch, NZ was awesome too. Brewpub with Biergarten. Unfortunately the earthquake(s) did a number on it. Not sure what it is like now.
Did a few bars in N/Z a few years ago.Best for me was The Whaler in Kaikoura,south island. Had a very good selection of beers on tap and damn good food as well,staff were also top notch.

I do like my German "Kneipe". Great places to sit and have a pils or two, generally....

Did a few bars in N/Z a few years ago.Best for me was The Whaler in Kaikoura,south island. Had a very good selection of beers on tap and damn good food as well,staff were also top notch.
I remember passing by the Whaler the few times I was in Kaikoura. Don't remember if I stopped in though...

I do like my German "Kneipe". Great places to sit and have a pils or two, generally....
You just reminded me of a pretty sweet Kneipe hier in Leipzig. Still is missing the flair of the patrons for a proper pub, but it has a great old dark wooden atmophere (and one particularly good beer that is very hard to get around here, Erdinger Pikantus!).
gosenschenke-leipzig-2.jpg

Also has decent biergarten in summer too...

Last edited:
If I had to choose, it would be the Blisland inn on the edge of Bodmin moor. I don't get to visit anywhere near often enough.

Back