My Dashboard & Brewing Trends

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I’m just curious, and for a bit of discussion….

If you click My Dashboard under My Brewing, how many recipes does it show? And how many of those recipes do you brew faithfully? By “faithfully” I mean “as is”, no changes (or very minimal changes based on current inventory) at least once a year. I’m aware of some classic recipes from some long time members of this board that get serious play.

My Dashboard shows 28 recipes, of which I probably brew 8-10 on a regular basis. Since I brew about 18 times a year, this leaves me 8-10 “one off” brew days, yearly. In other words, my brewing trend is to brew 50% what I know, and 50% something new.

I’m afraid that as I get older and farther along in this hobby, I’m likely to get lazy, drop the new stuff and just brew what I know. But, damn….I hope not. The new stuff is where I learn and what keeps the hobby fresh, the reason I love the quarterly recipe thread so much. “This can’t work, can it? What are they thinking?! Fine, I’ll try it anyway. Damn, this is a great $!&#$!! Beer”. :)

Thoughts?

Mine is quite skewed. I Make/adjust a Bunch of recipes that I don’t brew. Sometimes it goes through a few iterations before I decide what version to brew. So I have 398 recipes but that counts the 113 snapshots from brew sessions. Only about half are public since many are just messing around. Some I have a 3 gallon version (my usual size) and a 5.5 for when I’m brewing with a buddy or copied from a book and I just left the original. Most cases I make a minor tweak when I rebrew usually due to ingredient inventory or a hop AA.

Yeah it's all been new for me this year:).

But I have a few regulars but even then I'm always changing something hops grist slight tweeks.

But when it comes to lagers I'm usually more strict and keep to what I know works for me:).

Even so far this year I'm pretty sure I've half dialed in 3 Gluten free beers I'm happy with.

That brown ale
The rice lager and Bunyip .

I'm on Batch #88 and coincidentally I have 88 recipes; almost half of which are snapshots and 10-15 are recipes I've never brewed. The snapshots are because I'm always tweaking something. My brewing has been somewhat erratic and infrequent this past year. Hopefully I can back on a regular schedule and brew some of the quarterly brews I've been missing.

About 2/3 of my recipes are in my 'Archive' folder, the rest (maybe a dozen) are active, but a couple are on the 'to brew' list or the 'in development' list. I never delete a recipe. Not yet, anyway...

About 2/3 of my recipes are in my 'Archive' folder, the rest (maybe a dozen) are active, but a couple are on the 'to brew' list or the 'in development' list. I never delete a recipe. Not yet, anyway...
Oh man, I’ve thrown out a few clunkers. :eek: Don’t want them anywhere near me again!

Of my 28 saved recipes, I’ve only not brewed 3…all of which will get their chance before the year is out. If they show some promise, I’ll keep them. If not, they’ll get the heave-ho.

I have attempted to organize my recipes based on where they originated. So I have 22 that I have either ordered as a kit or just copied the grain bill from a kit, I have 5 that I have taken from AHA, another 12 from other places, and 32 snapsots which are some iteration of one of the previously listed recipes. I figured out snapshots shortly after I started using BF so out of the 40 beers I have brewed I have 32 of them listed as a snapshot. Not bad for 3 years of brewing, especially considering I really don't have time during the summer to do anything. Excited to be back at it with a 10 gallon batch of Oktoberfest about ready to be cold crashed and another 10 gallon batch of Oatmeal Stout getting close to bottling.

Back