Muntons Marris Otter Light LME 4.7°L

Tipple

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This extract isn't available to me locally, so when I wanted to try some I had to have it shipped across the country. The shipping doubled the price, so I ordered a couple of extra cans. I probably won't buy this again, so I'm looking for a particularly good use for it.

In short, I have 3 kg of Muntons Marris Otter Light LME 4.7°L that's looking for a recipe (I'll be adding some steeped grains as well). An English ESB seems to be the obvious choice, but perhaps there's a "higher" use.

I'm open to all suggestions, so what would you do with this if you had some as a one-time deal?

English Bitter is obvious, but I use Marris Otter (grain) in American Pale Ales and IPA's. You could use 100%, no steeping grains. I love that $h!+.
Not too malty for an IPA?

English Barley Wine
Interesting idea, and covers a wide enough range to be able to hide a multitude of sins. The problem for me is that I'm supposed to limit my alcohol intake these days (my cardiologist thinks that "limit" means zero, but I think he's splitting hairs). I aim to have most of my brews come in around 5% ABV so that I don't feel too guilty drinking a whole 450 ml bottle. In the event that I decide to make something stronger I'll ask my wife to share, but she usually chooses wine. This means that a brew can side-line three dozen bottles for a long time. Perhaps getting some smaller bottles and making half a brew is the answer.

Scottish Light 60/-

A low ABV beer that wouldn’t require much more than the LME.
A quick read tells me that the overall impression is similar for the three traditional Scottish beers, so the decision of which one can wait - perhaps a lighter brew than my usual 5% ABV would make more sense for the summer. Here's an Overall Impression for the mid-range Heavy:

14B. Scottish Heavy​

Overall Impression: A lower-alcohol, malty beer with light caramel, toast, toffee, and fruity flavors. A slight roast dryness offsets the residual sweetness in the finish, with the bitterness perceived only to keep the beer from being cloying.

This sounds quite enticing and it'll be fun trying to come up with combination of toast, toffee, and fruit.

Not too malty for an IPA?
Depends on the yeast. WLP007 is an awesome yeast, dry, but not too dry. I love a little back bone in an IPA. But it’s your malt extract, I’m sure whatever you choose to brew, it will be fine.

Well, I've worked through several possibilities this afternoon and evening. To my surprise, I've pretty much decided to take @Semper Sitientem's suggestion of an English Mild. I've never really been a fan of Mild, typically preferring hoppy Special Bitters with the occasional Old Peculier or Newcastle Brown for a change. However, I'm about to start a Czech Premium Lager at 5% ABV for summer drinking, so a Mild at around 4% ABV would complement that nicely. Furthermore, I was able to pick out a few steeping grains that my local brew shop will probably have in stock, and the water calcs worked out quite easily. It's obviously meant to be!

Thanks to everyone for helping out!

It's really not any more malty than pale. Just has more biscuit and bread flavors. I use it in place of pale all the time
Thanks. I've used it once and that was for an IPA. It wasn't anything like as light and hoppy as I expected, but perhaps I over-did the steeping grains at 15%. Based on that single data-point, I'll try a darker brew next.

MO is my preferred base malt for anything.
I think I get Crisp and it is more like 3.5L
I have found that any DME darkens a beer considerably, for my DME I use the lightest L I can get.

Back