Munich SMaSH ideas?

Beerbelly

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've rarely used Munich malt in any large quantity, but I'd like to try a 100% Munich SMaSH to find out it's character. I've read that it's very malty, but also doesn't convert as well as Pales, Pilsners, etc. What say you?
Also, I would think that some type of German noble hop like Tett or Saaz would be a good choice to compliment that malt?

I've rarely used Munich malt in any large quantity, but I'd like to try a 100% Munich SMaSH to find out it's character. I've read that it's very malty, but also doesn't convert as well as Pales, Pilsners, etc. What say you?
Also, I would think that some type of German noble hop like Tett or Saaz would be a good choice to compliment that malt?
Maerzen is about half munich. Only downside I see to making a full smash out of, it is pretty sweet and has about of Carmel notes to it.
Those two and hallertau are nice

You could make 100% Munich Lager or psuedo lager. Mash low and long 145F for 90 minutes. Munich is not sweet to me, but it does have a unique flavor. 34/70 yeast will dry it out nice for you. Tettnang will work well for both bittering and aroma/flavor.

You could make 100% Munich Lager or psuedo lager. Mash low and long 145F for 90 minutes. Munich is not sweet to me, but it does have a unique flavor. 34/70 yeast will dry it out nice for you. Tettnang will work well for both bittering and aroma/flavor.
Same I don’t find it sweet and 34/70 did well for it.

First taste of the Munich/Saaz SMaSH today. It seems to me that both this and the Vienna SMaSH I did both have a 6-row graininess to them, not quite the malty sweetness I was expecting. So I did some searching online, and it appears that the lighter Munichs are often 6-row based. I also read that Briess Bonlander is 2-row based, and can be sweeter and maltier. After this keg is gone, I think that will be my next try.

I had an interest in making a Vienna Lager, but after doing some reading on how close some of the German beers are to each other, I decided to make a Festbier for Thanksgiving instead. It is my first try at the style.
I would still love to try a Vienna at some point and would like to hear how yours turns out.

I had an interest in making a Vienna Lager, but after doing some reading on how close some of the German beers are to each other, I decided to make a Festbier for Thanksgiving instead. It is my first try at the style.
I would still love to try a Vienna at some point and would like to hear how yours turns out.
Of the Vienna and Munich SMaSHes I've done, I prefer the Munich. But next time I'm going to use Briess Bonlander, a 2 row Munich, versus the Best Malz 6 row that I used; that has a graininess which I don't care for. It's not like I'm gonna pour it down the drain though;)

Of the Vienna and Munich SMaSHes I've done, I prefer the Munich. But next time I'm going to use Briess Bonlander, a 2 row Munich, versus the Best Malz 6 row that I used; that has a graininess which I don't care for. It's not like I'm gonna pour it down the drain though;)
Maybe give it time and that graininess will mellow out.

So I just tasted the Briess Bonlander/Saaz SMaSH I brewed, and it definitely does not have the 6 row graininess that my previous Vienna & Munich SMaSHes did. It’s a smoother taste which I like, so this experiment told me the difference between 6 row and 2 row Munich.

So I just tasted the Briess Bonlander/Saaz SMaSH I brewed, and it definitely does not have the 6 row graininess that my previous Vienna & Munich SMaSHes did. It’s a smoother taste which I like, so this experiment told me the difference between 6 row and 2 row Munich.
I love a good beer recipe experiment :)

Can you expand on the kind of tastes that differ?

I’d say the Bonlander has a sweeter taste, with a less grainy ‘texture’ on the tongue. It’s the Munich I’ll use in the future.

Back