Multistage Fermentation

TMA77

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've another request to the awesome brewers friend tool for all grain in particular.
I often do Belgian Ales which require incremental feeding, with a second and even third wort addition.
It seems difficult to handle this in the brewers friend tool as obviously you have a SG then a intermediate FG, then a new SG after second wort to another intermediate/final SG etc.
Would there be some way of building this in?
I usually do the SG maths manually but I;m not convinced that it;s accurate.
Do you?;
Take current SG drop and calculate intermediate ABV, then adjust this ABV based on the new volume, then add the next SG drop as a new ABV calculation and so on? There may be a way of using purely SG calcs and a final ABV?
The more I think about it the more it seems that the dreaded calculus may be required to solve this problem!

Please provide some links regarding this brewing process. To be honest, I have yet to come across this approach to brewing (and I've brewed and read books on Belgian brewing...).

I have heard of brew club barrels that people keep contributing wort to, but never stepping up wort volume during a fermentation.

Sounds like it would be complex to implement, but we're not afraid of calculus. If we can provide something that works for you and is is easy for us to implement, of course we'd be happy to!

Back