Mulled Cider

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts or recipes?

Any thoughts or recipes?
I've loved mulled wine when ive had a chance at sampling some.
Years ago I was in Sydney on Bastille Day and they were shelling out Mulled wine I took a real liking to it while I was there:D.

Cider should be much the same but better, because it's cider

To me, anything mulled is just a matter of the spices. Just like wine, take the cider, add a spice pack, and run it through a recently cleaned coffee maker. That actually sounds good.
A better use for cider is to add dark or spiced rum and a cinnamon stick and microwave to get it warm:)

I tend to use sweet cider for mulling as it needs sweetening anyway but it does also work with dry.

In a saucepan: Varies to taste quite flexibly but roughly add between an eighth to a quarter pint of brandy and a quarter pint of water to a pint of cider, add 3-4 tablespoons of dark brown sugar and 1-2 sachets of mulled wine spice that they sell in supermarkets. Then bring the pan to just below boiling and hold at that temperature for roughly ten minutes. Pour into heat resistant drinking vessels and enjoy as it starts to reach your toes.

We had a place that was selling 750ml bottles of Barley Wine with a spice packet last year. They had it mulled in a crock pot on the bar for samples. Their idea worked. I sampled it and bought one for a Christmas gift.

Cider fits in with what we are doing. People are becoming familiar with our own cider and it's going down quite well, a mulled version is just another opportunity to put the cider in front of people.

I'm an advocate for cider in just about any form. I feel that it's a great English tradition that we don't celebrate enough, particularly up here in the North, so any chance I get I want to do something with it.

I'm with you though, my preference is a full-size full-fat carbonated apple cider :)

Back