Moving keg from cold to warm environment

Dodge

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just started using kegs and I don't have a kegerator or anything yet.
So to begin with I was wondering if I could just put my keg in the freezer until it's cold, pour a few, and leave it in roomtemperature until next time.

But will this affect the taste of the beer if I do this repeatedly over time?
Once cooled, should it stay cold?
I really want to taste my new farmhose ale. :)

Dodge said:
I really want to taste my new farmhose ale. :)

First, whats a farmhose ale?

Second, get a dedicated fridge for your kegs.

Third, the beer will age, somewhat similar to putting a bottle in the cold and warm repeatedly. It doesn't make for the best cellar environment. The beer quality will suffer. Only, with a bottle, the contents get drank quickly, as apposed to a keg. Also moving a keg about stirs up the sediment you have so patiently allowed to settle. I guess in a pinch it would work. Not ideal though. I'd imagine getting the temperature to carbonation volume ratio balanced would be a trick. You would have to cool it down to the same temp that the keg was carbed to, to get the proper pour. Too warm and you will have foam problems.

another issue warm air increases carbonation levels in kegs a lot, it can happen in a day and be over carbed in no time, remember warm expands, cold contracts

Keep an eye on craigslist and at yard sales and such. Someone always has an extra frig or freezer around that works fine. Sometimes they are given away to clean out their garage.

Back