motorized mill

I've go an old 60s(?) 1/6hp out in the garage, used to power my great great uncles bench grinder. Pretty sure I could use it to build a drive for the mill. Probably go like 8:1 reduction with pullys.

Yeah I just need to be ambitious, for now my concrete mixing drill does the job just fine.

Ok got me an induction ac motor :)
20220812_190728.jpg

My bathroom ceiling exhaust fan was stuck well luckily my dodgy diy skills got this baby working again.
20220812_194255.jpg

Yup all working again bit of a clean up and wd40 she's all good baby!

Last edited:
Might be a bit underpowered for the mill.
Too right.
Na it's been on my "List"
So took it apart it was ceased up from all that steam gotta stop pi$$ing in the shower (ok too much info lol)
But it's back in and working better than it ever has.

See that's we're dicking around with electronics gets ya not afraid to take it apart. :)

I use hand power and when the feeder is empty the power source stops.
All you need to do is feed it beer :D

I only do small batches, so can't even be bothered to go find my drill.
2 kg, double milled takes less than 10 minutes.
Me remembering and finding my drill will take longer

Here it is finished. One project that actually works the way I designed it on the first try. ;)

Edit: I will admit, I hooked up the SSR wrong on the first try and fried it. the 3-30VDC side (for switching) doesnt like it when you connect 120VAC to it :mad:

20220820_164208.jpg
20220820_164215.jpg
20220820_164230.jpg
20220820_164242.jpg

Here is a video of it in action:

https://fb.watch/f155eZKCrj/

Last edited:
Ha who has done it here and what kind of motor did you use?

I am looking at some of the gear drive motors. But have no idea if they have enough power. One is a 3:1 with 1.5ft-lbs torque @450rpm. Looking to reduce that further with pulleys, 4:1. So would have 6 ft-lbs. :confused:

Thoughts?
I made mine using an old motor from a drill press.

everything I read said that 300RPM was what you wanted for my mill.

I have been using my drill on low speed gear and that is about 450 RPM. seemed to work, but if it will mill with out having to hold a drill, then slower wont hurt. its not like I am milling 500 lbs of grain.

Why would a home brewer grind 500lbs of grain. Capturing the aroma of freshly ground grain in the mash cannot be beaten. One of the big benefits of my getting my Mill was to do that. Also unground grain keeps much longer.

Why would a home brewer grind 500lbs of grain. Capturing the aroma of freshly ground grain in the mash cannot be beaten. One of the big benefits of my getting my Mill was to do that. Also unground grain keeps much longer.
my point was I dont do that.

I mill my grain at the LHBS. The grain room smells fantastic. Even when I stop in and don't have to mill any grain, I still stop in the grain room for a whiff.

Back