motorized mill

Minbari

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Ha who has done it here and what kind of motor did you use?

I am looking at some of the gear drive motors. But have no idea if they have enough power. One is a 3:1 with 1.5ft-lbs torque @450rpm. Looking to reduce that further with pulleys, 4:1. So would have 6 ft-lbs. :confused:

Thoughts?

I use my cordless drill right now. It works really well. But, not unattended. I just don't know how to tell how much power i need.

I found another motor, 135rpm, 10 ft-lb

When I bought my mill I was going to use an old washing machine motor I had out in the shed. Found it was junk and didnt run ( after holding on to it for years). I couldn't seem to find one I liked on Craigs List so I bit
20220807_134048.jpg
the bullet and bought a new one .
1725 rpm, 1/2 hp definitely overkill but works great 2 inch motor pulley 5 inch on the mill.

When I bought my mill I was going to use an old washing machine motor I had out in the shed. Found it was junk and didnt run ( after holding on to it for years). I couldn't seem to find one I liked on Craigs List so I bit View attachment 21748 the bullet and bought a new one .
1725 rpm, 1/2 hp definitely overkill but works great 2 inch motor pulley 5 inch on the mill.
So gonna go that way. Got a 1\3 hp motor, 1.75" and 10" pulleys. Should give me 300 rpm

So gonna go that way. Got a 1\3 hp motor, 1.75" and 10" pulleys. Should give me 300 rpm
Is that about the right operation speed for the mill aye I run mine on battery drill on low then only pull trigger half way...

I thought mine would be too fast but it works perfectly.

I was actually trying to work out your rpm earlier on you got 1700 rpm on main motor its running a 2" disk on a 5" mill pulley so like 3:1 ratio?

So devide 1700 ÷ 3 =566rpm give or take?

My maths sux more clued on brewers like yourself might know the real answer

Is that about the right operation speed for the mill aye I run mine on battery drill on low then only pull trigger half way...
everything I read said that 300RPM was what you wanted for my mill.

I have been using my drill on low speed gear and that is about 450 RPM. seemed to work, but if it will mill with out having to hold a drill, then slower wont hurt. its not like I am milling 500 lbs of grain.

I was actually trying to work out your rpm earlier on you got 1700 rpm on main motor its running a 2" disk on a 5" mill pulley so like 3:1 ratio?

So devide 1700 ÷ 3 =566rpm give or take?

My maths sux more clued on brewers like yourself might know the real answer

that is right, give or take. motor is 1725 into a 2.5:1 ratio. RPM would be 690

Hey @west1m I just thought of another way I've got 4500watt power watt meters here at home I used to use these for turning down my electrical elements.

Well you can also use them as a motor speed controller 20$ from China Town will get you one hook it up before the motor and hey presto variable speed control for the mill.

Hey @west1m I just thought of another way I've got 4500watt power watt meters here at home I used to use these for turning down my electrical elements.

Well you can also use them as a motor speed controller 20$ from China Town will get you one hook it up before the motor and hey presto variable speed control for the mill.

depends on the motor. those heat controllers are prolly PWM or simple voltage controllers. for a resistive heat element, that will work.
An AC motor speed is not effected by voltage, you have to change frequency. (much more expensive controller)

if it is a DC motor, then yes, a PWM or voltage controller will work.

An AC motor controller of so.e sort?

depends on the motor. those heat controllers are prolly PWM or simple voltage controllers. for a resistive heat element, that will work.
An AC motor speed is not effected by voltage, you have to change frequency. (much more expensive controller)

I was not sure how that would work.

If I needed to slow it down some ,it would be easy enough to use a larger pulley but it works extremely well at this speed.

So your telling me if I plug my 240v grinder into it and turn the dial back I won't slow the motor?
Wait a minute ;)
Ok to demonstrate on the 500w jigsaw easier to handle one handed than my grinder.
Look maybe I for continuous use I'd go something exy but for 20$ plug n play I'd go this option I've actually got two of these little units that ones taken a bit of brewing abuse from me run my 3300Watt element on it let's just say 4000watt is a bit over its Safe working limit (tis what I've found).

Last edited:

Back