More mushroomy cream of mushroom soup

miaamelia

Reaction score
The local farmers market had some beautiful morel mushrooms last week so I bought a bunch of them. I wanted to try

something new so opted for cream of morel soup. I sauteed the mushroom with some onions, garlic, thyme, then made a

veloute with roux and home made chicken stock. Added the mushrooms to the veloute and finished with a little cream and

some fresh herbs. It was good but was hoping for more. More as in more mushroom flavor. I thought of trying the following

next time:

1 - add some sautéed mushrooms (maybe cremini?) to the veloute and put it thru a quick spin in the blender, then add the cooked morels
2- using mushroom stock instead of chicken stock (unfortunately that is something I don't usually have in my freezer)
3- adding dried, ground up mushroom powder somewhere in the mix (I have made another mushroom soup that adds this trick)

The local farmers market had some beautiful morel mushrooms last week so I bought a bunch of them. I wanted to try

something new so opted for the cream of morel soup. I sauteed the mushroom with some onions, garlic, and thyme, then made a

veloute with roux and homemade chicken stock. Added the mushrooms to the veloute and finished with a little cream and

some fresh herbs. It was good but was hoping for more. More as in more mushroom flavor. I thought of trying the following

next time:

1 - add some sautéed mushrooms (maybe cremini?) to the veloute and put it thru a quick spin in the blender, then add the cooked morels and make Mushroom Soup Keto
2- Use mushroom stock instead of chicken stock (unfortunately that is something I don't usually have in my freezer)
3- adding dried, ground-up mushroom powder somewhere in the mix (I have made another mushroom soup that adds this trick)
Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Maybe beef stock instead of chicken stock and you could also add some soy or Worcestershire sauce to the sauteed mushrooms and they'll pick up the saltiness and make them stand out a bit more.
I'm a fan of the savory that the Worcestershire adds, but that's my preference.
Also, I go heavy on the butter and heavy cream.

Save the mushroom stems in the freezer and make the broth, or just make the broth before the soup. The broth will not take much time to make about 20 minutes

Back