mold in my ferm chamber

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got a brand new chest freezer to ferment in, and i thought i noticed a few weird black spots after a couple days using it. I could easily rub them off no problem, didn't think twice. But now i'm noticing that this is probably mold growing in there. Sorry for the bad photos, but here we go..

Photo 1: there's some mold growing around the edge of this guy, there's a doppelbock resting in that right now.

Photo 2: another fermenter just sitting in as the temp probe.

Photo 3: the ledge in there, i had a fermenter sitting on top of it a couple days ago.

I had two glass carboys in there, i'm hoping mold couldn't sneak through the rubber stoppers?? And i'm also hoping that mold isn't sneaking through the plastic fermenter in there?

I'm going to rerack that doppelbock into some glass soon, and when i do, i plan on cleaning the freezer, the question is how? Should i put some Starsan on a sponge and scrub it down? Bleach? Baking Soda?? Just soap and water?

Attachments

• IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,104
  • IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 1,126
  • IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,129
whatever you use, be careful when you're bending over into the freezer to clean it. The fumes from whatever you're using might be too much in that small of a space.
I had an old chest freezer that i was using to just store some bottled beer (it didn't get cold at all). One of those exploded and i didn't find it until a few months later, when mold had really taken it over. IIRC, i just used some lysol and water, which seemed to do the trick.
good luck!

Freezers used as fermentation chambers are continually being run far over their optimum temperature. It's cool in there but not cold, there may be a biofilm in there the mold can dine on, it's actually ideal conditions for mold growth. I have the same problem in the temperature-controlled refrigerator I use as a fermentation chamber. The good news is the mold is on the outside of your vessels and isn't likely to get inside. As mentioned before, be careful what you clean with. I wouldn't waste good starsan on it, a spray bottle and bleach solution, about 10:1 water to bleach, will be more effective for this job.

in such a humid climate in the south, i should have anticipated this. and it sounds like i just need to be vigilant about it, check it every few days or so.

Looks like a metal lined freezer? If so bleach will eventually deteriorate the metal if used very often. Hot soapy water may be enough to keep up with it. If there is nothing for the mold to grow on, problem solved. Remember detergent like Dawn dishwashing liquid not just soap.

I had this start happening in my keezer. Cleaned good with Lysol, then I always keep some Damp Rid in there and have not had a problem since.

olywrestle said:
I had this start happening in my keezer. Cleaned good with Lysol, then I always keep some Damp Rid in there and have not had a problem since.

Good call on the Damp Rid (or one of those rechargeable dehumidifiers). Seems to make a big difference.

I always start with the least caustic cleaning option (like hot soapy water), and see where that gets you, especially if we're talking about outside fermenters (I'll always use PBW or something like that if I'm worried about one of those). If you end up needing to go up to bleach or something, go for it, but maybe soap or Lysol will be enough.

I spritzed some Lysol and wiped it down about a month ago and haven't seen mold since. Perhaps I'm in the clear, but the damp rid sounds like a good precaution.

I also use damp rid and never have problems with mold now.

Back