Missed Original Gravity

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Brewer #345301, Jan 22, 2021.

1. SabreSteve

SabreSteve Well-Known Member

You can always re-mill it. I run my grains through twice. Since it looks like you do smaller batches you could probably use a blender, food processor or coffee grinder. It's very hard to go too fine for BIAB. Long term I still recommend getting a mill. I feel like it's already been worth the investment for me. Keep in mind too that malt typically keep a lot longer when it's not milled so you can buy it in larger quantities and save more money.

Zambezi Special and Megary like this.
  2. Megary

Megary Well-Known Member

That’s tough to answer, not knowing your setup. I’ve never brewed any other way but BIAB so I can’t really answer the first question, but I suppose that would be a reasonable solution.

As far as sparging/rinsing the brew bag after mash, in my experience I don’t think that will help your efficiency much, as opposed to just full volume mashing from the start. What I have found is that a thinner mash leads to better efficiency/extraction (whatever the proper term is). So in my kettle, if I mash thick and sparge I *might* only end up where I would have if I had just mashed in full volume to begin with. Maybe less. That’s a bit confusing for sure, and maybe that only applies to my crush/pot/set up. With the crush you are working with, for BIAB, I would probably get better extraction if I mashed with a larger volume of water, didn’t sparge, and just boiled longer. Again, that’s only one brewer’s opinion.

But really, I would try and find a way to crush your grains finer. Run them through a pulse on a blender if you have to. It’s very difficult to crush too fine for BIAB.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Zambezi Special and SabreSteve like this.
  3. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    I'd use the bag even if you decide to sparge, just makes cleanup and handling way easier.

Maybe walk us through your process before we make wild assumptions? I noticed you had no equipment profile in your recipe either so that will throw things off.