Mini keg question

Thanks Mark,
I'm still going through different options, but it is slowly becoming a bit clearer!

So if I understand correctly, that picnic tap on beer line is actually quite a good thing compared to a tap directly on the mini keg?

Can you have more kegs and move the co2 cartridge & tap from one to the other?

What exactly is spunding?

I have no issues using a tap directly on the keg.

i don’t leave co2 on mine and move around to the kegs I’m drinking out of.

spunding means to close off, actually bung. You close off near the end of fermentation and catch the co2. Your beer carbs while the fermentation is ending. Free carbonation

I guess Zambesi & I are going to be learning at the same time. I bought a 5lb CO2 tank and a regulator, and I was given a Corny keg. I am going to play with tightening all the fittings next week. The big thing so far was putting the plastic fitting inside the connection the correct way. Dumb ass me put it on backwards the first time and was wondering why the damn thing was leaking LOL.

So if I understand correctly, that picnic tap on beer line is actually quite a good thing compared to a tap directly on the mini keg?

Can you have more kegs and move the co2 cartridge & tap from one to the other?

What exactly is spunding?

I should be able to get a soda stream adapter, but I don't know if it will fit my connection. 1 filling of sodastream gets me 6 CO2 cartridges, and can only be filled in the capital (3-4 hour drive one way)
Cartridges I can keep lying around, so that will be the initial way to go.
Thereafter maybe a big CO2 cylinder and pressure gauge to carbonate keg or sodastream bottles.
But that's still far far away
Well, you can easily move taps from keg to keg. And the hose acts to reduce pressure. A bit. You can lower the keg pressure to dispense (higher pressure gives foaming) but that wastes your co2.

CO2 cartridges, it depends: some automatically close off when disconnected, some do not. Not the cartridge itself, but the thingie that fits to the gas post. The ones I have (US$8 or so) do.

As Josh said, spunding is simply allowing the keg to naturally pressurize (like a bottle) but controlling the pressure with a 'spunding valve'.

A 5 or 10 pound co2 bottle will cost around US$100-150. Some gas suppliers will rent you one. A regulator might be as much as another $100. I am certain you can get all this in the capital, as every restaurant with a soda dispenser or beer tap uses this. My cost for 5 pounds co2 fill is about $20.

Cartridges are handy but relatively expensive, but definitely a good way to start. Get a gas post adapter like this one, as it closes off and holds pressure when disconnected. https://www.morebeer.com/products/b...mbibarb-duotight-compatible-williamswarn.html

it would not hurt to have an actual valve in there to positively close off the cartridge. Bit if plumbing is all.

Last edited:
And to give you an idea for Co2 usage, i bought a 10lb co2 tank about 1 1/2 years ago and have not needed to refill it. Bulk tanks are def the way to go

And to give you an idea for Co2 usage, i bought a 10lb co2 tank about 1 1/2 years ago and have not needed to refill it. Bulk tanks are def the way to go
I go through 5 pounds a year, but I use it a lot: carbonation, moving beer around, dispensing. I also keep kegs at 15 psi then dispense at 5, venting co2 to drop the pressure.

Wasteful maybe, but it's cheap enough.

So just when I had more or less decided to buy from ikegger when I'm next in Europe, I stumbled across those two.
They look real sexy, don't they ;)
Screenshot_20230114-063406.png

Screenshot_20230114-063415.png

More details here: https://firkinkeg.co.za/?product=277

I quite like the cheaper one with the picnic tsp, but the other seems to have better connections?

These are in South Africa and since I am about to order malted barley from there, they could hop along on the truck (depending on transport costs)

What do you all think?
Regulator goes to 2 bar.
If the cheaper one will work okay, I'll get a 2nd 4 ltr keg

I like the picnic tap one for one reason. you can add more tubing if you need it.

I have an adapter to use a faucet connected to the ball-lock on the keg. its nothing but foam at more than a few psi.

Agree. A tap directly on a keg without any pressure reduction may end up badly. But re-read Josh's statement a few posts above. I would get the picnic tap, ideally two in case one breaks.

My 5 picnic taps are 3-4 years old and have never broken. Sunfire96 had one break last year. But when supplies are further than an hour away, a spare is not a bad idea. If the second keg also cones with one, that's your spare.

Agree. A tap directly on a keg without any pressure reduction may end up badly. But re-read Josh's statement a few posts above. I would get the picnic tap, ideally two in case one breaks.

My 5 picnic taps are 3-4 years old and have never broken. Sunfire96 had one break last year. But when supplies are further than an hour away, a spare is not a bad idea. If the second keg also cones with one, that's your spare.
I think I've broken like 2 or 3 now...but they are versatile and cheap and probably your best bet for functionality and flexibility in different situations

Back