Mineral flavor from yeast...what does that mean to you?

vthokiedsp

Trial Member
Reaction score
Recently spoke with a yeast manufacturer and they said that the one particular strain in question produces floral and mineral flavors. How would you describe "mineral"? I'm assuming it's different than earthy/dirt-like.

In the greater context, I'm looking to align my hop selections for a pale ale to the yeast flavor profile and am curious about the mineral side of things. Yeast guy said an East Kent would work nicely but am trying to nail down what mineral really means.

Recently spoke with a yeast manufacturer and they said that the one particular strain in question produces floral and mineral flavors. How would you describe "mineral"? I'm assuming it's different than earthy/dirt-like.

In the greater context, I'm looking to align my hop selections for a pale ale to the yeast flavor profile and am curious about the mineral side of things. Yeast guy said an East Kent would work nicely but am trying to nail down what mineral really means.
Think alka-selzer. Or the flavor of very hard water.

I think mineral water, but that has carbonation, which like the Alka-Selzer above, tends to change our perception of the flavor. Some "saltiness" of some type is the best I could come up with.

Some English strains have that " mineral " quality, but I love it in English ales, so I suppose I don't mind it.

Back