Milling flaked oats

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
is there any drawback to milling oats?
I ask because I picked up my grains to brew the All Together IPA and didn't realize they included the oats in the same bag as the grains.

I've never milled flaked oats but I don't think it would matter as far as the oats are concerned.
Might they gum-up your mill though?? What % of oats are in there?

I don’t mill them. Straight into the mash. The small flakes might hinder drainage. They mash okay without milling.

I throw them into a blender first

I normally just put them on top. They are all mixed in my back and surely will not fish them out

Recommendation is not to. They can gum up the mash (stuck lauter) and they can gum up crushers. That said, I've forgotten and milled them with no adverse effects but, given my n=1, I'll stick with not crushing them (unless I forget again....).

I've milled lots of flaked oats with my corona mill. I just toss all the grain into a bucket and then mill it all at once, never occurred to me not to mill it. I can see how it could cause issues if you don't have a brew bag or something to control plugging up.

My only knowledge on this is the sign in the grain room at my LHBS saying not to mill flaked grains.

Back