Milkshake IPA, when do I add these

there's a permission error, can't see the recipe so i'm just making educated guesses here

i'd put the sugars in at around 10 minutes left in the boil.

I've only brewed with fruit once (strawberries), and i had added them during secondary. I bought them frozen, tried to chop them up in a blender (still frozen), gave up and added them straight in. long story short, i would not recommend doing it that way

I'm trying to envision a milkshake IPA and am coming up a bit short - mind explaining the concept a bit further? Somehow "milkshake" and "bitter" don't compute....

And yes, the recipe isn't public. We can't see it.

Still no luck.

Try duplicating the recipe, then you can adjust the public setting on the new one

there we go. sounds interesting. I still stand by what i said for the sugar.
how the recipe is written makes it seem like the mango is thrown in the mash, but that doesn't seem right to me

I have always added the fruit to the secondary. I freeze the fruit to kill the bugs. Let it thaw in a sanitized container and then puree and add.

I would probably change that recipe a bit. I would probably move of all of those 1 minutes to a whirlpool addition for 20 minutes.

I would also dry hop on day 2. Dry hopping during high krausen helps with the haziness for that style.

I have never added lactose but have had commercial neipas with it and it is very tasty.

I'm thinking mango smoothie rather than milkshake but agree, it should be interesting.

Just the hop combo alone in that recipie sounds tasty interesting brew cant wait to see it in the glass.

water. water. water.

I had some commercial milkshake IPAs lately, they're good, but they followed the maltier water profile.

I'd shoot for 125 CA, 185 Cl, and 70 SO4. Don't worry about Na, Mg, or any bicarbonate. Just my two cents, but my juicy IPAs turn out really nice with this profile, (and London 3 to ferment with)

water. water. water.

I had some commercial milkshake IPAs lately, they're good, but they followed the maltier water profile.

I'd shoot for 125 CA, 185 Cl, and 70 SO4. Don't worry about Na, Mg, or any bicarbonate. Just my two cents, but my juicy IPAs turn out really nice with this profile, (and London 3 to ferment with)
If you're not worried about the alkalinity , you're mostly wasting your time worrying about the water. Carbonates, alkalinity, are the primary reason to adjust water to hit a target mash pH. Hitting the mash pH will do nice things to your beer.

I usually do 1.5 g/gal calcium chloride and .5 g/gal gypsum to RO for NEIPA

If you're not worried about the alkalinity , you're mostly wasting your time worrying about the water. Carbonates, alkalinity, are the primary reason to adjust water to hit a target mash pH. Hitting the mash pH will do nice things to your beer.

I add my salts and acids to the mash water (distilled) and hit my mash pH... and I have to consider my alternatives. Orleans Parish tap water is high in bicarbonates, I don't have a good way of filtering a lot of it at once, and I don't like the affects it has on my brews without a carbon filter. It's easier for me to build water from nothing.

I add my salts and acids to the mash water (distilled) and hit my mash pH... and I have to consider my alternatives. Orleans Parish tap water is high in bicarbonates, I don't have a good way of filtering a lot of it at once, and I don't like the affects it has on my brews without a carbon filter. It's easier for me to build water from nothing.
Given what I've seen of your water report, I don't blame you. And having drunk NO water a time or two.... Here we have it somewhat rough. Our water is good for ambers and browns with little to no addition - throw in some CA because there's not enough of it. For Pilsners and Stouts we are out of the range - a pilsner yields about pH5.8 in the mash and a 40L stout 4.8, both in the range where bad things happen to beer. So when I plan salt additions, I have to take into account what's already there. Distilled is easier.

Back